Please sign in to post.

Marseille???

I plan on stopping at Marseille on my way back from Nice. It was just going to be one night. so I would have spent most of a day and the next morning leave for Paris.
However, Marseille looks interesting and thought I should spend an extra night?

What are your thoughts on Marseille?

Should I go through the trouble of changing a train ticket and a hostel reservation?

thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick describes Marseilles in his book Provence & the French Riviera and I suggest you read that before making a decision, buy the book or access an older edition online through Goggle Book Search. Given the other choices you have in France, Marseilles would be well down the list of destinations for most travelers. In the end, it's difficult for us to know whether it would be worth it, to you, to go to the trouble of making changes for the sole purpose of seeing it. It depends on your interests and what your other choices are.

Posted by
16 posts

We just got back from first trip to France. We started in Marseille. I would have to say if we could do over, we would have chosen someplace different. And 3 days was more than enough. People were very nice though.
Funny, but when the locals discovered Marseille was our first stop in France they always were flabbergasted. "Marseilles? Why would you come to Marseilles?"
No regrets but so many other places better.

Posted by
238 posts

thanks
maybe I will just spend the one night that I had planned.
That would give me more time in Paris

Posted by
14 posts

I personally would recommend you go to Aix en Provence instead of Marseille. It is very close to Marseille and it is such a beautiful place. I really fell in love with it. I was not a fan of Marseille and think you would have a much better 'French' experience in Aix.

Posted by
14 posts

I personally would recommend you go to Aix en Provence instead of Marseille. It is very close to Marseille and it is such a beautiful place. I really fell in love with it. I was not a fan of Marseille and think you would have a much better 'French' experience in Aix.