Please sign in to post.

What to pack?

I am going to Bavaria in October I have no idea on what to pack as far as clothing goes, will it be chilly in the day time will I need a warm jacket? Please advise, Thanks Linda

Posted by
408 posts

Linda,

I was in Bavaria last year in October and plan to be there this year also in October. I wear cloths that I can layer. Last year it was hot when we were there, but I'm not sure if that is the norm. I am taking some travel pants from R.E.I. and a few long sleeve travel tops with a short sleeve t-shirt under it. The pants do zip off to shorts so if it is hot I can make them into shorts. I take knit type pants for dressier outings for dinner. (They don't wrinkle). I always bring a cardigan sweater, a gore-tex jacket for rain and a polar fleece zip up jacket for trips up the zugspitza or mountain areas. Have a wonderful trip, Bavaria is beautiful.

Posted by
852 posts

Linda, I would pack VERY lightly, taking the barest necessities, keeping in mind it is October. Then, buy the appopriate clothing locally. German dry goods are high quality and well worth the price paid, a joy to shop for... and you will have souvenirs that will live long after your trip to remind you of a good trip.
Gute Reise ... P.

Posted by
3580 posts

Expect weather in Bavaria to be similar to that in PA. Rain gear and layered clothing for flexible adjustments to temperature and weather should take care of you.

Posted by
29 posts

Hi Linda,
We were in Germany in early to mid-Oct. a couple years ago and encountered a full range of weather, from sunny and 60s to pouring rain and chilly. Layering is definitely the way to go. I took some knit tops and some sweaters to layer over them (I wore the sweaters as light jackets on the warmer days), as well as a raincoat with a removable liner, a couple pairs of medium-weight pants and a skirt that I wore with tights. This got me through all the weather variations comfortably.

Posted by
8 posts

This is a great question because we are going to Bavaria at the same time. I would like to piggyback on this question -

We've read Germans do not wear jeans and tennis shoes. They wear clothing more along the lines of khakis and regular leather shoes. Is this true? I've seen pictures of people in all sorts of clothing.

Anyone with advice on what to wear?

Thanks

Posted by
8 posts

This is a great question because we are going to Bavaria at the same time. I would like to piggyback on this question -

We've read Germans do not wear jeans and tennis shoes. They wear clothing more along the lines of khakis and regular leather shoes. Is this true? I've seen pictures of people in all sorts of clothing.

Anyone with advice on what to wear?

Thanks

Posted by
53 posts

I don't know why everyone thinks that Europeans ONLY wear dark colors, khakis & non-tennis shoes. Europe is as diverse, if not moreso, than America! Take a look around you here - how many people dress identical to each other? There are ppl who are going to wear extremely "funky" items that some would consider hideous & some will like, & people who will dress super conservatively, then every possibility in between.

So just wear what makes you feel comfortable. If that's jeans & tennis shoes, then wear them! People in Europe will have them on too, in addition to every other possible style imaginable!

Posted by
31 posts

We spent 4 days in Munich and Bavaria in September 2005. It was cool (low 60s F), overcast, and drizzly the whole time. We wore long sleeve knit shirts and light rain jackets.

But as someone else suggested, it is always fun to buy an Oktoberfest or other Bavarian sweatshirt as a souvenir and start wearing it there.