Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

We will be in the Rhine Valley and are considering visiting Luxembourg. Are the any must-see places?

Posted by
12040 posts

"Are there any must-see places?" I would say no... but mainly because I don't like the term ... but enough preaching. And I assume you mean mostly Luxembourg City.

I think of Luxembourg as the Delaware of Western Europe. Small, wealthy, pleasent, clean and well organized, with cheap shopping by EU standards, but not that much to distinguish it for travelers. The most unique feature of the city is probably the layout of the old town, which sprawls over the side of steep cliff and into a deep, wide ravine. This whole area is listed as a UN World Heiretage Site. Otherwise, the city has a few minor museums, palaces and churches and a bustling commercial district. Although I enjoyed the city, I would not go out of my way to visit on a tight itinerary.

Hmm, I've already offended the Texans on this website, now I hope the Delaware lynch mob doesn't come after me.

Posted by
2349 posts

Tom, don't worry about the Delaware-their lynch mob is pretty small. They do tend to go on and on about being the "First Lynch Mob" though.

Posted by
16038 posts

And we won't tell the Vice President...

I'm going to Luxembourg on my next trip because it's probably the last Capital in Western Europe not overrun with tourists.

Posted by
811 posts

Luxembourg is a great country, so if you have an extra 45 minutes, why not see it...?

Ok, ok, outside of Lux City, another town worth a visit is Vianden - they even have a castle, as any self-respecting town in the region does. Along with the castle (which I guess I can't say is overwhelmingly impressive, but does have its merits), the town itself is pretty quaint.

The other thing I like about Luxembourg is it is always a guessing game to try to determine which language to speak to each person. But good luck if you find someone who only speaks Luxembourgish...

Posted by
2779 posts

I love Tom's Delaware of Europe ;-)... And now back to my own thoughts: There's absolutely nothing specific Luxembourgoise in this world, neither is there in Europe. If you are in Trier and close enough to the border consider filling up your car in Wasserbillig (Cheapwater), Luxembourg, as they've got no eco-tax on fuel. That's about it though... I like the food in Luxembourg.And the old town is packed with tourists...

Posted by
850 posts

The WWII American cemetery is located in Hamm and is the burial site of General George Patton. His headstone is located in the front. A majority of the soldiers buried there were killed in the Battle of the Bulge. Worth a visit for a couple of hours if you have an interest in WWII sites.

Posted by
811 posts

To add to Lane's excellent suggestion, nearby the American Military Cemetery is a German Military Cemetery. The grounds of the German Cemetery are rather unkempt and they've buried their solders there (also from WWII) 4 men to a headstone. It offers a stark contrast to the beautifully manicured (and seemingly more respectful) grounds of the American Cemetery.

(and thanks, Andreas, for the good intel on where to fill up the car - we'll be in Trier in about 3 weeks!)

Posted by
9 posts

The Gernman military cemetary is about 1 km from the American one and it is listed as being in Sandweiler. It cetainly was worth a visit to both for us. Additionally, the WW II military museum in Diekirch was amazing but we are history geeks, this one is full and deceptive from the exterior. The full life scene depiction of the winter night river crossisng by the U.S. soldiers stirred our emotions. Ettelbruck is called Patton's town and there is a museum dedicated to him. There are a number of Bulge sites to see outside as well for history buffs. Yes, Luxembourg is worth some time IMO
was quite lovely to drive.