Please sign in to post.

Hiking in the Dolomites

My husband and I are thinking about doing a 4-5 hut to hut hike in the Dolomites this fall. We're strong hikers and would rather do it on our own than with a tour. Has anyone done some hiking in the area and can give me some tips?

Posted by
17168 posts

I have spent a week or so in the Dolomites and done dayhikes, not hut-to-hut. The area is fantastic!

There is some information on multi-day treks in the Lonely Plant guide, Walking Italy. Better yet would be one of the Cicerone Guides (available from Amazon). There is one to the Alta Via 1 & 2 (these are long-distance traisl through the Dolomites). Another good one, with number of different mult-day walks, is Walking in the Dolomites, by Gilllian Price (another Cicerone guide).

There is also good information on the web--Alta Via 1 & 2 each have websites:

http://www1.dolomiti-altevie.it/inglese/altaVia/Home.asp?Body=dove

http://www.dolomiti.it/eng/itinerari/altevie/altavia2.htm

You can easily manage on your own, without a tour. The people are very friendly and hospitable, and everything is well set up to accomodate tourists and hikers. (It helps if you speak a bit of German). And the food is wonderful.

Just make sure you have good information on your hiking routes, and recognize the symbol for a "via ferrata" on the hiking map, in case you want to avoid those (as I do).

Posted by
769 posts

The cicero guidez are great - esp those by Kev Reynolds. Ive taken some great small hike tours with www.alpinehikers.com but they also provide a detailed and customisable itenerary with rooms and maps. Great service to maximze the time there and take the guess work out so you can focus on the hike! He is in Arizona but has lead and organized hikes every summer in Switzerland for some 12-14 yrs! Highly recommened.

But like many alpine routes in Europe - there are many great books and maps and towns to get you on your way. The routes are well marked. The locals and the books can also make sure you avoid the iron ladder sections if you like.

But give alpinehikers a call or email for ideas. they are great!