Please sign in to post.

New Years?

I made my first trip to Europe in May and cant wait to go back. I am planning a trip over the Christmas break. I am thinking of leaving right after Christmas and being in Europe for New Years. Where are some good places to spend New Years in Europe?

Posted by
658 posts

Amsterdam and London are good new years venues but the very best place to be is anywhere in Scotland. New Years Eve in Edinburgh and Glasgow are an experience that is unforgettable but you will need a ticket to attend the huge celebrations in the centre of Edinburgh and they are hard to get hold of. That doesn't matter - any Scottish pub is the best place to be on New Years Eve ( any Scottish pub at all ).

Posted by
12040 posts

Vienna is known for its elaborate New Year's celebrations, including concerts, waltzing and lots of champagne.

Posted by
2779 posts

Having spent New Years in several European countries I have to say that the English way of celebrating that event is a rather boring one. You stand in the streets of London looking at Big Ben. Once it rings midnight you wish the people around you happy new year and that's it. No singing, no fireworks. In Vienna and everywhere in Austria at midnight there are fireworks and every radio and tv station plays a centralized broadcasting of the blue danube waltz and people dance everywhere in the streets, places etc. To me, that's the best. 2nd best is Berlin as it's always Europe's biggest party with 2 million people around the Brandenburg gate, several stages with live music etc and fireworks at midnite.