Please sign in to post.

Train from Munich to Salzburg

Myself and my daughter (13) will be taking a train from Munich to Salzburg in May. Is it a good idea to buy the tickets before, or just purchase them at the station.
I also have looked online at bahn.de to see how much tickets would be. Even though I put in tickets for 2 people it came up as 1 ticket for 2 people. Can my daughter ride on my ticket since she is 13?

Jaymee

Posted by
19234 posts

The reason it came up as 1 ticket for 2 people, if probably that you gave her age. Children under 15 travel free if they are with a parent and shown on a full fare adult ticket. However, the least expensive way to do that is with a Bayern-Ticket, which costs €28 and is valid for 2-5 people for unlimited travel all day long (from midnight weekdays or 9 AM workdays, until 3 AM the following mornings).

A Bayern-Ticket is valid in 2nd class on regional trains. 2nd class in Germany is completely adequate and regional trains make the trip to Salzburg in only ½hr longer than the fastest express trains.

You can purchase the Bayern-Ticket the day of travel (they are unlimited in quantity) from any German Rail or MVV (Munich metro) ticket automat. If you buy one at a ticket counter, they will charge you an additional €2 for personal service.

Posted by
19234 posts

28 Euro from an automat, 30 Euro from a counter. Yeah, I guess that is "about 29 Euro".

Posted by
1523 posts

When we rode this route (using the Bayern-Ticket) the regional express train was a double-decker. It was worth the time to climb to the second deck, better views.

Regards, Gary