Please sign in to post.

3 days in Switzerland

Hello, We will be landing in Milan in a few days. We would like to drive up into Switzerland and spend 3 days. We would appreciate any itineraries that have gone well. We have driven the Simplon pass and found that very nice. We don't want to do stressful driving with tons of hairpin curves, cliff driving etc. Any ideas of the best pass roads through the mountains? Any great suggestions of towns to visit would be much appreciated.
We don't mind changing locations, but would take the suggestion to base in one central spot.Thanks so much. I know this is short notice b4 our trip, but we just decided to go up to Switzerland.

Posted by
10 posts

I highly recommend Murren. We stayed 3.5 days at Chalet Fontana. The owner, Denise, was wonderful. Gave us full run of the common room and kitchen. We went early May. Weather was fabulous, great hiking, mountaining biking is very extremeonly for the expert rider. Restaurants are so-so. The view of from our room window was spectacular and you can't beat the off the beaten path the village is located. Rick Steve has tons of info on this village and all is very true to expect. I think to truely experience Switzerland, you need to stay in a village as Murren or Grimmelwald. We are currently planning our next trip 2013 to stay in Murren.

Posted by
7209 posts

do you "really" need a rental car??? Those scenic alpine villages like Mürren are DEFINITELY the places to see...but many of the towns and sites are only accessible by the wonderful Swiss Train System. Trains are the way to go especially in Switzerland.

Posted by
797 posts

We have done his drive a few times and I envy you. From Milan take the E35 North to just south of Lucern and pick up the A6 headed toward Bern/Interlaken. The driving is easy, the scenery is great and it takes about 4 hours. You might want to do a quick stop in Altdorf to see the Wiliam Tell stuff. I am torn between recommending Murren or Lauterbrunnen as the place to stay. Murren is really spetacular if you have a room on the edge of the valley. However, as they say, Lauterbrunnen is just a little piece of heaven and with a car it gives you easy access to the surrounding countryside and lakes as well as the Ballenberg open air museum and you can always day trip Murren on your way up to the Schilthorn. In Lauterbrunnen we have found the food at Hotel Oberland to be a very good value, you can dine inside or outside and the view form the outside is just great. The Oberland or the Hotel Staubach are both very good values, wherever you stay don't forget to ask for a room with a view if possible. At his time of the year things may be a bit crowded so you might want to book in advance although you can always find something in the area when you have a car and go hunting. The nice part about having a car is that if it is raining, you can still hop in the car and tour the surrounding area. Don't forget to get an autobahn vignette when you get to Switzerland and also you MUST have and IDP to drive in Italy. Two minor inconveinces. Have a great trip

Posted by
11 posts

Lauterbrunnen Valley is my favorite spot. No cars in Murren, or Gimmelwald..reach by cable car. Wengen on the opposite side of the valley is a great place and more hotels...no cars here either. Swiss transport is great, but there are places when cars are almost necessary: in Wildhaus Aug. 1 we needed a car to get anywhere. Not sure if I were in Milan how long it would take me to get to the Laut. Valley. Seventh trip just this year!