Please sign in to post.

3 Days in Switzerland

I'm going to be spending a week in the Berner Oberland but have 3 days to kill between landing in Zurrich and checking into the apartment in Grindlewald. Looking for suggestions for how to spend 3 days somewhere else in Switzerland without spending too much time or money on train travel.

Posted by
6898 posts

Lucerne is a great suggestion. After Lucerne, a place to consider is Birenz. Brienz is tucked onto a valley at the NE end of Lake Brienz. Quite lovely. It's a 17-minute train ride from Brienz to the Interlaken Ost train station where you catch the Jungfraubahn train to Grindlewald.

Posted by
16188 posts

Luzern is right on your way, if you go by the scenic route instead of through Bern. But instead of staying in Luzern, you could take a boat ride and cablecar up to Rigi Kaltbad, halfway up Rigi, with lovely walking paths and gorgeous views over the lake and mountains.

Posted by
813 posts

I like Lucerne, Schwyz, or Konstanz for a 3 day stay.

Posted by
258 posts

I would suggest spending a day/night in Zurich. In my experience, many people just seem to land in Zurich and use it as a jumping-off point only, but it's a great, clean, vibrant, sophisticated city, and I think it merits some time. I would not suggest more than a day or 2, but I think you'll enjoy it. It's also a city very easy to navigate on foot, so getting around is easy. I then agree w/ the posts above re: Lucerne, a lovely city. On the way to Grindelwald a few years back, after a day in Zurich, I stopped in Lucerne. Spent better part of a day wandering around the car-free pedestrian city, took a sight-seeing boat cruise on the lake, etc., spent the night at a hotel, and then continued on train to Grindelwald, via Interlaken, the next day. I think if you divided the 3 days you have between Zurich and Lucerne, you'll enjoy it. You WILL love Grindelwald, btw, THAT's for sure! One of my favoriate places I have ever visited in Europe. From the center of town, be sure to take the gondola up to the First Moutain range-on way up, you'll enjoy frightful, head-spinning viewsand once up there, you'll find endless hiking options. Spectacular. And also super easy to get to the cogwheel train for the journey to the Jungfraujock (TOP of Europe-an absolute MUST!) and to Lautubrunnen for the cable car trip up to Schilthorn/Piz Gloria, another MUST in the region. Spectacular alpine views that seem to go on forever. Enjoy.

Posted by
32198 posts

Karen, I'd like add another vote for Lucerne. It's an incredibly beautiful city, and it shouldn't be hard to find things to do for three days. Aside from exploring the city (the Walking Tour from the T.I. is a good way to get an overview), you could take a trip to Mount Pilatus or visit the Museum of Transport (I spent the better part of a day there - there's LOTS to see!). If you'd prefer a somewhat smaller and more "authentic" Swiss location, you might consider the Appenzell area. Here's a short video that will provide somewhat of a glimpse of the area. If you decide to try it, I'd highly recommend This Hotel. Happy travels!

Posted by
2902 posts

Hi Karen, Another "vote" for Luzern. We took a lake cruise and I also spent a lot of time at the Transportation Museum. As far as "cities" in Switzerland go, Luzern is hard to beat. Just a "heads up"... you're not going to want to leave the Berner Oberland. That was the hardest part of our trip to Switzerland. Paul