Please sign in to post.

3 days in Normandy

I am going to France in October with my husband and 9 year old daughter. We will be spending 3 days in Paris and 3 1/2 days in Normandy. I would love recommendations on things to do and places to stay. We will have a car so I would prefer to stay in one place and take day trips from there. Also, do you recommend spending the whole 3 days in Normandy or splitting it up and spending a day in the Loire Valley. Thanks,
Jennifer Srp

Posted by
784 posts

With only 3 days, I wouldn't split them between Normandy and the Loire Valley. Spend the full 3 days in one place or the other as there is plenty to do in each. I love Honfleur, but as a base for 3 days, I'd choose Beauax ( that's spelled wrong) because it is more central for visiting the D-day Beaches and Mont St. Michel. I would spend one day visiting the D-day beaches, with the morning seeing the tapestry; one day at Mont St. Michel; and one day driving the apple and cheese routes, with some time in Honfleur. There are good guidebooks of Normandy, so you can tailor your visit to your own interests and preferences.

Posted by
1174 posts

Many stay in Bayeux and there is a ion of nice hotels. We have stayed at the Churchill, a couple blocks from the famous Tapestry of the Norman Conquest in 1066. You might check out www.banbnormandie.com, about 15 miles east of Bayeux just outside Villers-Bocage. We spent 5 nights there and were able to easily visit the D Day beaches, about 25 miles or so. We also drove to MSM on the high speed motorway (80 miles maybe) spent a couple hours before the tour buses arrived, then drove around the bay to Cancale, about 20 miles, for a marvelous seafood lunch. Drifting back to your hotel or B&B along the back roads of Normandy was delightful. We had a GPS with hotel and museum addresses saved into favorites, plus a Michelin road map which came in handy at times.

Posted by
32173 posts

Jennifer, It's difficult to comment on "things to do and places to stay" without having some idea of your interests. For example, what prompted this desire to visit Normandy and what are you most interested to see there? I agree with a previous comment that with only three days, it would be best to stay in one location and make day trips. Happy travels!

Posted by
4132 posts

With just 3 days, I would not add another destination. You will be run ragged and rewarded only with cursory tastes. In Normandy, Honfleur and environs are pretty, Bayeux is charming, and Mont St. Michel, properly seen, is magical. But of course your tastes may differ.

Posted by
9404 posts

We like Bayeux as a base, it's a charming town and fun to walk around and go into all the wonderful shops. We love the Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux. The owner, Mme Ropartz, and her staff are really wonderful. It's like a manor house with lovely gardens, free parking and is very quiet. The rooms are large, clean and have good beds. The bathrooms are large and clean. The breakfast which is included in the price is great. It's set off the street down a driveway but across from the driveway entrance is the town square which has a great outdoor market several days a week. Very fun. Love this hotel and the location.

Posted by
15 posts

If you are not interested in the WWII sites near Bayeaux, I would suggest staying in Honfleur. On the way from Paris I would stop and tour Giverny and Les Andelys. The views from Chateau Gaillard, stronghold of Richard the Lionhearted on the Seine is priceless. A day trip to see and hike the cliffs of Etretat on the English Channel is a nice 50 minute drive north of Honfleur. Honfleur is a very relaxing and historic town. We stayed at Le Reserve in Giverny, La Cour Sainte-Catherine in Honfleur and The Churchill Hotel in Bayeaux.

Posted by
195 posts

Regardless of your interests, when in Normandy, start each day at breakfast with a simple phrase - "Madam (Monsieur), un cafe Calva s'il vous plait". Guaranteed to fire up your jets for the day! Bonne journee!