Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt layover?

I've got a half-day layover in Frankfurt. Any suggestions on where to go to get away from the airport for several hours? Thanks. Tim

Posted by
2779 posts

That's been answered several times before on here. But I know it's hard to search the Helpline. Check out this website: http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=317578&_ffmpar[_id_inhalt]=177743You can take a direct train from the local trains station at FRA airport, basement of Terminal 1 to Hauptwache, which is #18 on that map. From there you can walk in very, very short time to all of the sights mentioned on that website. You can also print out the little guide book on the right hand side of that website. If you're going to be in Frankfurt on a non-Sunday you can also check out MyZeil shopping mall (www.myzeil.de). The entry is just behind the Kaufhof department store, which you can't miss. For around €14 you can get a day ticket on public transport that's good for the train from the airport to downtown and vv. as well as for all other rides within Frankfurt. Otherwise a single one-way on the airport to Hauptwache leg is €3.60. If your trip is going to take place in June you might want to check out the festival in the old castle of Höchst, which is a short cab ride from the airport. It's a medieval castle right by the river just outside of Frankfurt with plenty of food and drinks, live music and it all takes place in 16th century scenery...

Posted by
111 posts

I had a 6 hour layover at the Frankfurt airport in February. I took the train in to the city- Hauptwache station. It was I believe the 2nd stop after the main station...took maybe 25 minutes or so. I got some help with the electronic ticket machine from a German who was standing behind me and lived in VA for like 4 years. I think the machine was all in German if I remember correctly. I think it was the 1B train...local one. It was pretty early maybe 7:30AM or so when I got off in the city. Walked around for a couple of hours, ate a croissant and some coffee for breakfast, took some photos, got some euros for the rest of the trip at an ATM, ate a huge pretzel, went back to the airport. 4 hours on the return trip and I just stayed at the airport, walked around, rode the airport train, did a little shopping and ate a Japanese noodle restaurant at 9AM (curry chicken with a German beer...nice breakfast! or 3AM late night meal if I was on the East Coast)

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks all for the helpful ideas.