Please sign in to post.

Gimmelwald

Where have people stayed in Gimmelwald. I read about the hostel in Rick's book but it seems like a very young crowd and I like a good bed. Any other ideas?

Posted by
37 posts

Addendum: I stayed in Murren about 20 years ago and loved it. Is Gimmelwald even nicer? I'm really looking forward to going back. Thanks!
Dorothy

Posted by
32320 posts

Dorothy,

Have a look in the Switzerland Guidebook for lodgings, or check the Gimmelwald web site. You might consider Esther's Guest House as it's beautiful (and not far from the Hostel). It was just renovated in the fall of 2006. You could also consider Walter's Hotel Mittaghorn if you like "creaky & authentic". I believe the Pensione was open briefly last year, but I'm not sure what their status is at the moment?

If you want something a bit more conventional, Murren is only a short distance away, and has a greater selection of Hotels and Restaurants.

Happy travels!

Posted by
251 posts

We stayed at Esther's and I would highly recommend it. She has several rooms off a large kitchen/dining/living room plus two apartments. The apartment downstairs has a public porch but the apartment upstairs has its' own large, private balconey with a fabulous mountain view.

I'd be happy to send you pictures if you want.

The whole place was very neat, tidy and clean. Another great feature was its' closeness to the tram station, which you will be using a lot.

I will happily go back there again and again.

www.esthersguesthouse.ch/index.htm

Posted by
521 posts

Esther's is a great option. If they are booked or if you just do not feel like Gimmelwald is the place for you, nearby Murren is a little bit larger and has hotels, yet it still is on the side of the mountain and has that wonderful atmosphere to it.

Posted by
7209 posts

Muerren and Gimmelwald are so very close and easily walked OR connected via Gondola that I would choose Muerren.

I agree that the Hostel will be full of younger kids, and you can get accomodations just as cheaply with a GOOD bed at Chalet Fontana. I love the Chalet Fontana and have stayed there numerous times. It's clean, cheap and Denise is a very friendly British hostess.

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks so much, guys. This gives me some direction! Can't wait to go.

Posted by
4132 posts

Did Walter's (Hotel Mittaghorn) go out of business?

Please say it isn't so.

Posted by
32320 posts

Adam, where did you hear that Hotel Mittaghorn had gone out of business? I just checked the "official" Gimmelwald website, and it's still listed?

On another note, some good news. The Pensione Gimmelwald has now re-opened under new management. That was the only restaurant in town, so it's nice that it's back in operation.

Cheers!