Please sign in to post.

Sleeping in Amsterdam

I am doing a big Europe trip in June with a friend and my sister. We will be in Amsterdam June 5th to 7th. We know the city is notoriously expensive, so we were prepared to splurge a bit on accomodations if necessary... but so far, everything we have come across is priced a lot higher than I even imagined!
Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay? If it's really worth it, we are willing to pay.
OR
Would it be better to stay somewhere ouside of Amsterdam (like Haarlem) and commute in? Is Amsterdam really the BEST city in the Netherlands, and therefore worth the cost? I would be interested to hear about other great cities in the Netherlands that we could stay in, so that maybe we could just do Amsterdam in a day trip if that's a better idea.

Posted by
3551 posts

Haarlem is also a nice town but the train fare rd trip can add up fast for 3. I stay at small Hotel Keizershof in RS guidebk. Reasonable , central and incl brfast. other than that perhaps a hostel with pvt room may be your other option.

Posted by
837 posts

Don't know what you mean by "splurge". We are staying at the Seven Bridges in May. HIGHLY rated on tripadvisor. Room pictures extensive on hotel website. Variance in rooms and prices.

Posted by
68 posts

We are also a group of 3 going to Amsterdam Jun 9-14 and ran into a similar situation. The hotels that were labeled as triples were expensive and only had a double bed with a single on the side, which is not really what we were looking for. We did decide to splurge a little and get an apartment instead (which actually sleeps 6 in 3 seperate areas). It came out to around $200 per night vs $150-$180 for the hotels (central station area) we felt it would be worth it to pay a bit more and have our space and privacy as 3 single people especially since we wil be there for 5 nights. I think we will make up for some of that cost by being able to prepare quick meals and pre-drink with alcohol bought at a grocery store before we hit the clubs. Not sure how it will work out, but hoping for the best!

Posted by
15 posts

I think it's worth it to stay in Amsterdam. There is no other city like it. Plus you can easily do a day trip to Haarlem.

We stayed at the Seven Bridges last summer and it was wonderful. Really nice location on a quiet canal but just down the street from some activity. The owners were really nice. They bring breakfast to your room. We picked our room based on the good photos on the website and it was exactly as we expected.

Posted by
1158 posts

Even if find the Dutch being cold people, I enjoyed Amsterdam. Great museums, cruising the canals, the crowdness of the bicycles, Red light district.
We also rented a car and went North to see the fjords for a day.

Posted by
2 posts

I was there in January and stayed at the Eden Amsterdam American Hotel. Due to the season, the price was very good. The location was excellent. I took the train from airport, the tram from the train station which dropped me off at the hotel and I walked everywhere thereafter. Never took a taxi or bus. The hotel is perfectly situated for the canals, shops, restaurants and all sights. The rooms are very quiet and comfortable. I did not go to any other cities but felt like for a three day weekend, I really saw Amsterdam. Easy to cover in a short weekend and it is a relaxing city. Do not miss the Anne Frank House.

Posted by
6788 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Brouwer and completely loved the place. Not really cheap, but not expensive by Amsterdam standards, and the place is just dripping with history and charm, with a wonderful location, and nice people. We would definitely stay there again - it's wonderful. If you're willing to splurge a bit, check it out. In Rick's book.

Posted by
5 posts

I just booked a room for April at $76.30/night. It's in the museum area. This is a non-refundable rate. Check hotels by the standard star rating system.

Hotel: NS NH MUSEUM QUARTER Location:Amsterdam
Address:HOBBEMAKADE 50 , 1071XL
Check-in:Apr 08 03:00 PM
Check-out:Apr 10 12:00 PM

Tel.: 31-20-5738200
Fax.: 31-20-5738299
Rooms: Rate: ref USD 76.30/ night

Posted by
10230 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Brouwer for one night on 12/26. I found it to be less expensive than any other place I could find for a triple room. Well, there were some cheaper places, but they seemed to be real dives. I only wish we had seen the view from our room in the daylight. We arrived after dark and it was still dark when we left in the morning. The windows looked out over a canal. The price includes breakfast, but we left before they started serving so I can't say how it was.

Posted by
2026 posts

Amsterdam is fabulous. Haarlem was nice too but no comparison in my book, and those train rides do add up, especially when multiplied by 3 each way (a factor to add in if figuring costs). Last spring we stayed at Boogaard's B and B... very nice place, super friendly, 10 minute walk from station...everything one could want.Check it out on Tripadvisor, and then google the website for specific costs. I think we paid about 100 euro per night last year.

Posted by
15589 posts

People have been getting great deals in Amsterdam on Priceline.com. I got a 4-star (probably closer to 3) for US$60 + taxes for a Saturday night in mid-June. Read this post on Trip Advisor for more info:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k2568848-l16647052-Latest_posted_priceline_winning_bids_for_4_and_5_star_hotels-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

Just in case the link doesn't work, look for MrJohnMD on the Amsterdam forum. (The prices are w/o taxes. On my room, it was $14.50 or about 24%.)

Amsterdam is the best place, IMHO. There's more to see and it's easy to do a day trip to anywhere else in the Netherlands, if you want to.

Posted by
590 posts

We stayed at the BBIJ bed and breakfast. It was a little out of the way, but it was easy and fun taking the tram to the tourist areas. The lady who owns it is from Georgia and is very helpful giving restaurant suggestions. It was also one of the cheapest places that we could find. (74 euros/night)