Please sign in to post.

Casablanca Tour Guide

Hello - We will be in Casablanca for one day this April and wold like to hire a private guide to show us around. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

Posted by
417 posts

If you are only there for one day, it sounds like you may be on a cruise? If so, I would recommend going to Marrakech. It is a few hours away, but far more interesting than Casablanca.

That said, you can go into the mosque in Casa now, but as stated it is modern, but still interesting and impressive. There is a small kasba/ old town to see as well.

Marrakech is far more exciting and the ship, if you are on a cruise, probably offers a tour there, which in my opinion, would be worth paying for.

I loved Morocco, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or message me!
Mike

Posted by
6788 posts

Actually, my recommendation would be to skip Casablanca, and go to a different city in Morocco if you can possibly do so.

There's not really much to see in Casablanca. There's one big mosque, but it's modern rather than historic, and while the ouside is somwhat impressive, when I was there non-believers like me were not permitted entry (that may have changed - it's been a few years). Even if the mosque is now open to us infidels, I still don't think that Casablanca is worth the time (unless you're already going to the other cities, or have some compelling personal reason to be there). There's no "Ricks American cafe" there, and I think it's a fairly drab, ordinary large city.

I'd suggest Marrakesh, or Fes, or Meknes (in that order), rather than Casablanca, if you have the option.

Morocco's great, but IMHO Casablanca's not high on my list of must-see cities there.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi - thanks for the replies! We are indeed on a cruise that stops for a day in Casablanca. The ship offered tours of Casa and a tour of Casa & Rabat. We didn't want to do a large group tour here and did not want to travel to another city as we only have the day.

I did locate a local private guide, whom I found through several recommendations on Trip Advisor, so I expect we will have a great day and see some things we wouldn't get to see in a large group.

I've heard lots of wonderful things about Marakesh, but that will just have to wait for another time.

Thanks again! Happy travels!
Sharon

Posted by
206 posts

You will actually find there is plenty to see in Casablanca to occupy a full day. It's a large city, but very interesting. Have a great trip.