Please sign in to post.

Mont Blanc

I am looking for info re. cable car rides across Mont Blanc between Italy (Courmayeur?) & France (Chamonix). We'll be going in May.

1) Does it matter if you start in Italy or France? We'll be in Italy and I'm hopinng to start and finish there to save going thru the tunnel.
2) Lodging recommendations - say $$ Db.
3 Suggestions for specific rides, hikes, restaurants, etc.

Thank you!!

Posted by
850 posts

We were in Aosta in May 2007 and the cable car ride from the Italian side was closed. Drove to Chamonix and the cable car was open but did not go over to the Italian side. Went up to the Aiguille Du Midi. I don't know if the cable car closes on Italy's side every May or not. Could have just been that particular time for maintenance or something. I do know in other areas such as the Dolomites that many lifts are closed in May because it is their slow season. Maybe someone who knows for sure will weigh in with a comment.

Posted by
151 posts

We tried to do this option in Mid July 2007 and found the whole thing shut due to excessive ice and snow up top. We could get up Mount Blanc from Chamonix but could go no farther on the tram. We had our back packs just in case things opened up but it was absolutely not to be. We couldn't even see out the windows of the observation area. It was a huge disappointment as we had seen the Rick Steve's episode and read about it as well. In May, I would not count on it being available.

Posted by
5678 posts

As I understand it, availability depends on the weather. It sounds spectacular, but if it's windy or weather related issues you're stuck. BTW Chamonix is terrific. I did the balcony walk was I was totally physically unprepared, but I didn't regret a minute of it. The views were spectacular and it was just plain wonderful. There were a number of good restaurants in Chamonix. I followed Rick's advice. Pam