Please sign in to post.

TGV Train Tickets

My wife and I are renting an apartment in Paris for a month. This being our 10th or 12th month long visit to Paris, we are quite familiar with the buses and metro. I have worn out at least 8 or 10 Plan 2 maps. We always get the Carte Orange or one of the successors. However, on this trip we plan to visit Strasbourg from May 7 to May 9, taking the TGV 2419 from Paris and returning on the TGV2356. My question is, is it less expensive to by the train tickets in Paris at the Gare de l’Est or to purchase them in advance from the Europe by Rail web site?

Posted by
264 posts

You will find the Prem fares on the French national rail site, www.sncf.com. Today, it's 38 Euros (one-way) for first class fare. You might want to book them, there's only a few seats left at this reduced price. That's where I always buy mine, whether it's for TGV, Thalys, Eurostar, etc.

Posted by
8700 posts

Bill,

While you and I may have no trouble booking in French at www.voyages-sncf.com, others will. As I indicated in my post above, Prem's fares are also shown on www.tgv-europe.com. (The site is run by SNCF.) I have sent a PM to Daave with more instructions.

Posted by
264 posts

Great, I wouldn't want to see him (anyone) pay more than necessary!

Posted by
8700 posts

Do you mean Rail Europe rather than Europe by Rail? If so, their fares are usually higher than what you would pay by buying tickets at a station. However, if you book online TODAY, you can still get discount fares for your routes.

Go to www.tgv-europe.com. To keep the site in English and to keep from being bumped to the Rail Europe site, choose Great Britain as both your country of residence and the country in which you will retrieve your tickets. While the standard 2nd class fare for TGV 2419 is €69.50, on 7 May you can get a 1st class Prem's fare of €38. If you're willing to depart at 06:54 on TGV 02405, you can get a 2nd class Prem's fare of €22. Depending upon the time of day, there is also a range of online fares for 9 May.

If you get a Prem's fare, you print your own tickets. For all other fares you can pick up the tickets at any SNCF station or boutique in France even though you had originally selected Great Britain.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. I followed you advice, but could not find the inexpensive fares. However, your suggestion that we can pick up the tickets at many outlets was appreciated.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks, guys. By the way my old shaky hands hit the a in Dave twice. Today I will be visiting all three sites you named.

Posted by
5 posts

Bill and Tim. I went to the sites today and purchased the TGV tickets I wanted at bargin prices. Thanks for your help. You were right on the mark. the advice to say i was from G.B. was also very helpful since my French is lousy. I am ashmed to say I have been there 24 time in the last 57 years and still only know a limited number of useful phrases.
Dave