Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam to Paris

Is there a high speed train service from Amsterdam to Paris? Or is it easier to fly? Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

The reason Michael suggested choosing France as the country for ticket retrieval is that this will keep the booking pages in English. If you choose the Netherlands, the booking pages will change to Dutch. If you get a Smoove fare, you print the tickets yourself and don't actually pick them up anywhere. However, all the other fares require you to pick up tickets and you'll get a message saying you can do so at any SNCF station or boutique in France. Of course, that won't work in your case because you'll be traveling from Amsterdam to Paris. It's possible that you can simply go to the Amsterdam Centraal station and present the credit card you used when booking and the confirmation number you'll be given when you book and pick up your tickets there even though technically you have chosen France as the country for ticket retrieval. I'm basing this on what appears on this page on the Thalys site, but don't take my word for it.

To be safe, you could book tickets over the phone. Netherlands: NS Hispeed Telesales Internationaal 0900 92 96 (0,35€/Min).

Posted by
9100 posts

Yes, it's called the Thalys; journey time is 4 hours. You can book tickets online and print them out at home at www.thalys.com
The earlier you book the better the price; non-refundable fares can be had for about 35 euros. When the site asks you where you live or where you will pick up your tickets say "France".

Posted by
9100 posts

Don't use the Rail Europe site Steven mentions, they don't offer discounted tickets and will overcharge you.

Posted by
8700 posts

As Michael says, it pays to book ahead (up to 90 days allowed) on the Thalys site. While the standard 2nd class fare is €110, the lowest Smoove fare is €25. If you get a Smoove fare, you can print your own ticket.

Posted by
360 posts

Michael - Tim, why say your picking up tickets in Paris? How exactly do we get our tickets? Thanks.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks for all your responses. Who said only the "to-the-boot" forum is exciting. I see the people in this group helping out each other even more.

Happy Traveling!