Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to San Sebastian

My husband and I are taking the RS tour of the basque country in June 09 and flying in to Barcelona and renting a car to get to San Sebastian. We have about 48 hours prior to check in for tour. We have read our road trip will be about 6 hours. Any ideas of how to break up this trip and see and stay somewhere interesting on the way?

Posted by
359 posts

Robin; my stop enroute to San Sebastian would be Pamplona. Lots to see, and an easy, pretty drive from there to San Sebastian the next day.

I'm a bit biased as I've been researching for some time the escape and evasion of downed Allied airmen in WW2. The men were guided from Paris, on to Bayonne and then over the western Pyrenees by Belgian/French underground escape organizations and finally their Basque guides. Pamplona and towns/villages north to the French border were stop-off points for many of the airmen before they headed to San Sebastian/Irun to begin their journey to Gibraltar and eventually back to England. I've come to learn a lot about the area and its history; if I can be of help with information/suggestions, send a PMessage. You'll love the Basque country and its people.