Please sign in to post.

Europe

Hi My cousin and myself are trying to make plans over Europe and I am trying to get either a flight or train from Rome to Salzburg and I keep coming up to a brick wall.I dont seem to be able to get a direct route there. any help would be apreciated.

Posted by
3313 posts

Tim should be along to help you shortly, but as far as trains go it looks like you have to make connections to get from Rome to Salzburg. But you can get there. Go to www.bahn.de to experiment with schedules.

Posted by
32310 posts

Kerry,

The trip from Rome to Salzburg via train is a minimum of about 11-hours, with at least 2 changes. It's certainly possible, although with a trip that long I'd probably consider using a budget airline.

You might consider using Air Berlin from Roma Fiumicino to Innsbruck. I couldn't check Fares as you didn't indicate your travel dates? The trip from Innsbruck to Salzburg by rail is relatively short.

If you decide to use that option, note that budget airlines are somewhat "restrictive" in a number of ways. To begin with, the baggage limits are fairly rigid, and if your luggage is over weight, you'll pay! Also, in many cases the tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable. As long as you're clear on the details, budget air is a good option to consider.

Hope this answers your question?

Happy travels!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you for your help I have check that out and it is very daunting but we will have a look and see what we come up with again thank you.

Posted by
386 posts

Kerry,
have you considered flying from Rome to Munich, and then taking the train from Munich to Salzburg?
That might be your best option.
The trains run almost hourly, the ride is 1:45hrs to 2 hrs, the price between €20 -€30.

Just a thought

Posted by
32310 posts

Corinna,

That's a good suggestion and one that I overlooked when suggesting a Rome-Innsbruck flight with Air Berlin. Munich is a good airport to consider, and it's easy to reach Munich Hbf (and the city centre) via the S-8.

Posted by
12 posts

thanks again I will get on to this when I get home from work. so also the same would work from paris to rome on the same train service. you can see I am new at this travel thing.again thanks.
The main reason we are going to Salzberg is that my cousin wants to see the Alps so the other thing is ,is that the best place to go.

Kerry

Posted by
632 posts

Kerry,

That is a matter of opinion...the perceived best of the Alps is often the result of the experience of the traveler, not the site itself...I'm sure you will find those who believe that the best place to experience the Alps would be Switzerland...some would say Austria, some Italy, and more than a few would say France...do some research on each and see what appeals to you (hint...without taking sides, I will say that Switzerland offers a lot of variety with the help of their incredible train system).

Posted by
12 posts

It is all so mind boggling,never done anything like this and sometimes I wonder 2 females traveling europe but I supose we are not the first and wont be the last we just seem to have left it late in life. thanks for the tip