Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt

My daughter and I are going to be all over Europe in July. How do we get to Hallstatt from Vienna? Do we have to go through Salzburg? And where's the best place to stay while in Hallstatt?

Posted by
7 posts

From Vienna Westbahnhof take the train in the direction of Salzburg. You will need to change trains at Attnang-Puchheim. This is very easy, as the trains are usually timed in such a way that you do not have a long wait. Hallstatt Bahnhof is across the lake from the town. A Ferry will be waiting to take you and your fellow passengers across the lake...easy and fun! Check out the train schedules at the Austrian National Railway's website- www.oebb.at. There you will find a link for English. When purchasing you tickets, be sure to ask for the 1-plus-Freizeit ticket. you will save a great deal of money. There are a number of nice places to stay in Hallstatt. Go to www.hallstatt.at-- they have numerous lodging possibilities listed.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for your reply. I have since last posting found the oebb site for rail travel from vienna to hallstatt with only 1 change. Am staying at Rick Steves suggestion of Gasthof Zauner. Can't wait!

Posted by
852 posts

With Gasthof Zauner, you have made a great choice! They have a super dining room too and the outside ivy seems to grow through the dining room windows...

Have a great trip!
P.