Please sign in to post.

Currency

How did you change currency in Amsterdam and Paris and would you recommend it?

Posted by
8938 posts

Simply pull cash out of any ATM. This is the easiest and cheapest way. For more details, read some of the many, many posts on here about doing this.

Posted by
10344 posts

"Throughout Europe, cash machines (ATMs) are the standard way for travelers to get local currency. European ATMs work like your hometown machine and always have English-language instructions. Using your debit card with an ATM takes dollars directly from your bank account at home and gives you that country's cash. You'll pay fees, but you'll still get a better rate than you would exchanging traveler's checks."(this quote from Rick Steves Money 101 on another part of this website) at this link Rick's Europe Money 101

Posted by
19091 posts

European ATMs work like your hometown machine

Not exactly! European ATMs, at least all of those I have tried in seven trips to Germany, don't give printed receipts, which I find a bit uncomfortable.

Other than that, I would agree, don't exchange currency over there, use ATMs. Although everyone won't agree, I would recommend taking a few Euro (~€100) from home just so you won't be dependent on ATMs the moment you arrive. A few years ago, I arrived in Frankfurt with three ATM cards. The first two just said, "call your bank". Needless to say, I was sweating a bit. The last one worked. Wells Fargo sells Euro over here for about 5% over the going rate; ATMs often charge 3% - 4% over. So for a couple of dollars, you can have assurance of having something to spend when you get there.

Posted by
118 posts

We go to AAA and get a card that looks like a Visa debit card. We load our vacation money into it. That way there is no connection to any other bank accounts.. only amount you have designated for your trip. They give you two cards in case of a problem with one. We have used ATM's as previously said and on our five trips.. never had a problem.

Posted by
9363 posts

Dianne, the fees associated with prepaid debit cards like the one from AAA usually make them a much worse deal than using an ATM card. You can do essentially the same thing by having a separate checking account with your travel money in it and use the ATM card from that account.

Posted by
1265 posts

Abraham - Like other posters I also recommend using ATM's to get cash. You may also want to check with your bank and let them know you are going to be in Europe, also ask your bank to raise your daily cash advance limit.

Posted by
1358 posts

Buying local currency in those two cities is the same as in any other city.

Wise travelers stopped buying travelers checks years
ago. They use the ATM card for convenience, safety
and economy.

You will find ATM machines almost anytime you
need one.

You will find them in air terminals,RR stations,
supermarkets, service stations. post offices. shopping malls, retail stores, bus stations, ferry terminals and hotels.

Forget about the fee; it is a small price to pay for the convenience you will experience.

Be sure to call your bank to tell them that you will be withdrawing in a foreign country so they won't close your account.

Posted by
1167 posts

I just checked the AAA website and found this:
"ATM Fee domestic: $1.50
ATM Fee international: $3.00
Foreign Exchange markup: 3% "

With my Capital One card I pay no markup and a $1.50 transaction fee. That means that a E300 withdrawl will cost you at least $9.50 in fees and markups or $8 more than I will. And I assume that if you want to convert any euros you have left on your card when you get home will also be subject to an exchange discount.

Posted by
11507 posts

Eveyone needs to check what their bank account type offers ,, my bank account gets me free foreign withdrawals, but other types of accounts at my bank do not get that..

Posted by
233 posts

I usually end up flying through Amsterdam. In the Amsterdam airport, there are ATMs and a long-hours bank (6 am to 10 pm 365 days a year, even Christmas Day!). I get the money from the ATM (using my low-fee credit union debit card) and change the big bills at the bank desk right away (storing the cash in my money belt). That way, when I land at my euro-zone destination (Portugal, France, etc.), I already have cash to hit the ground running. I've done it three times now!

Posted by
2026 posts

ATMs are everywhere. We also buy about 100 Euros here at home so we have ready cash when we arrive. Yes, we pay a fee for the euros and a fee for the ATMs, but the ease and convenience outweigh those few extra dollars in my estimation. Wait till you buy your first cup of coffee in Paris; the couple percentage points on your ATM will be the best deal of the day :-)

Posted by
1358 posts

When I first started traveling I would buy foreign currency before I left, but I stopped doing that many years ago.

ATMs are everywhere. I always find one in the air terminal where I land so that I can pay for whatever I buy immediately.

I ignore the fee and consider the bank fee just another cost of travel. And I welcome the convenience of machines.

So far in visiting over 50 countries I have NEVER had a problem buying currency in any air terminal. Of course I may some day.