Please sign in to post.

Munich's new "Environmental Badge" - Rental Cars????

I read that you now need a special badge on the car to drive in many cities in Germany. If we are renting our car in Austria, how do we get one? Or, are rental cars exempt? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!!

Posted by
12040 posts

If you use an multi-national rental agency, they should be able to provide one, although you may have to arrange it in advanced. For example, I bought a Swiss road pass in Germany when I rented a car from Sixt.

Let me give slightly better advice: Don't t attempt to drive in Munich! It's one of the least car-friendly cities in Europe. All the better for walking and using the excellent public transportation.

Posted by
239 posts

Thank you for the info. We actually are driving through for just one night. I know it is a headache, as we were there in 2002 and got lost trying to find our hotel! But, it is much cheaper and easier to drive with 5 people (2 children) then we don't have to stick to a schedule as much:)

Posted by
2779 posts

All German rental cars from larger agencies like Sixt, Europcar, Hertz, Budget, Avis etc. already come with those stickers as it has been the law for a year now and those agencies never rent out cars for more than three months to then sell them off. So don't worry about the badge at all.

Posted by
1297 posts

I had an extremely difficult time finding an answer to this question for our trip last fall. However, since we rented in Munich the stickers were provided. The people who finally helped me were the hotel where we were staying. (I wanted to know the answer before we got there!!) It was within the zone that required the sticker. You might try your hotel and see first of all if they are within the zone and second what you need to do to be able to stay there with a rental car. I wish I could say the rental car company was more helpful (before we left) but they didn't even seem to understand what I was talking about. Obviously when you call their information line you are talking to someone who is trying to answer questions "world wide" and not someone in Germany. However, that could be a another option. If you can get a hold of the number of where you are actually picking up the car they might be able to help. I wish I could have been more helpful, because I remember my own frustration finding someone who knew more about how this all worked. It is so different from the stickers in Austria and Switzerland. I even found web sites that sell the stickers and that made no sense since I had to know the license, etc. of the car-something you don't know if you are renting. Munich's sticker just began last October and hopefully information will be become more available. If all else fails: stay outside the zone and take public transportation into downtown Munich.

Posted by
1297 posts

Andreas- does that include cars rented in neighboring countries like Austria?

Posted by
12040 posts

Just wondering, when did this law go into effect and what cities does it cover?

Posted by
2779 posts

It doesn't automatically include cars rented in Austria as they don't have those badges yet. And of course every country issues different kinds of environmental badges. Tell your Austrian rental provider way in advance that you need a German eco badge (Umweltplakette) for your car as they can order them online at minimal handling fees. The law became effective Jan 1st, 2008 but every German city can decide when they want to start making them mandatory. E.g. Frankfurt didn't start until late last fall and a lot of other cities only started Jan 1st, 2009.

Posted by
1358 posts

And also, in Austria (at least this was the law 3 years ago when we were there), you are required to carry a reflective vest in your trunk. Make sure the rental company provides this, or you'll have to buy one. It's not expensive, about 5 euro.

Posted by
239 posts

I just called Auto Europe and the woman told me that I should be able to buy them at any convienence store or petrol stop. Does anyone know if this is correct? I hope it is that easy, but I am not sure she understood which badge it was.

Posted by
151 posts

We have some inside info regarding the driving situation in the city of Munich. They have made it un-friendly on purpose to deter driving in the city by timing the traffic lights so you don't make two green lights in a row. The red light plan has worked as your recommendation to take public transportation was the objective. On a positive note, this plan frees up traffic for emergencies and deliveries.

Posted by
2779 posts

It's unlikely you can buy those badges at any convenience store or border gas station (you can buy a county's freeway toll stickers at those places but not the eco badge) because they'd need the car's full papers and VIN to check about it's environmental rating, whether it'll get a green, yellow or red bagde. Maybe you should send an email to the actual Austrian pick-up station and tell them you'd need a car with a German "Umweltplakette". They'll know best how to get it. Other question. Would it be possible for you to pick up a car in Freising, just across the border from Salzburg. That way it'll be a German car which will already have the eco badge. There are rental car stations, e.g. a Sixt one (sixt.com) just at the train station of Freising, which is only a few stations from Salzburg's main train station by local train.