Please sign in to post.

Layover in Frankfort

I have a layover from 6am to 1pm in Frankfort on a Friday in January. Should I bother venturing into the city or should I just stick it out at the airport?

Posted by
12313 posts

Hopefully Andreas or Jo will get on. I've never been a big fan of Frankfurt but I know they were redoing a section of town to make it more attractive.

You have enough time to either head to the Rhine or Wurtzburg as a day trip.

Posted by
2297 posts

Generally speaking this is plenty of time and the connections from the airport to the city centre are very good. The problem is, that it'll be dark till about 8 and nothing will be open till 9 or 10 ... If you have to be back at the airport by 1 pm that may still give you a bit of time to stretch your legs and see some interesting sites. But if your next flight leaves at 1 pm that would be cutting it rather close.

Posted by
19232 posts

Frankfort is in Kentucky.

Seriously, though, you have time to go into downtown Frankfurt or into Mainz. Either is worth seeing. Each is just a few minutes by S-Bahn from the Regional Bahnhof, which is just under the building across the street from Terminal 1. You can get to it by going down stairs in the great hall of Terminal 1, and through the mall under the street.

Just mind the time that you have to get back.

Posted by
9145 posts

I think this is enough time to come into Frankfurt, but I dont think it is enough time to go anywhere else. Come into the city on the S-bahn, this takes 11 min. Get off at the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and have some breakfast. It might be light by then. Go downstairs and take the U4 or U5 to Dom/Römer, this is 2 stops. Come upstairs and go to the Dom, (St Bartholomews). They have mass at 0800 and this is your chance to hear the fabulous organ, one of the largest in Germany along with seeing where the Holy Roman Emperors were crowned. Then come out and walk straight out to the first street, Braubachstrasse. Turn right and walk two blocks. This will bring you to the Holocaust Memorial Wall which has over 11,000 names of Frankfurts Jewish citizens who died due to the Nazis. They are in alphebetical order so you can find Anne Franks name if you like. Peek into the medieval Jewish cemetary. Go back the way you came until you get to the Römer. This is Frankfurts historic town square. Visit the little Gothic church located there. This is Alt Nikolai. Walk through to the river, maybe go up on the bridge for some good views of the city. All the villas on the other side are actually museums. The church on the river bank (same side as where you climbed up on the bridge) with the 2 funny looking towers, is St. Leonhards, our oldest church built in 1213. It is well worth a visit. Looking at the skyscrapers, the one that is round, with a red & white pole on it and says Helaba, has an observation deck on the 54th floor. Great for photos. You probably need to head back to the airport by then if you have a flight at 1300. You can catch your S-bahn to the airport from downtown at the Hauptwache. The large dept. store "Kaufhof" is there. Just go downstairs and look for the S-bahn 8 or 9 with a plane on it. Enjoy!

Posted by
638 posts

Awesome - this is everything that I needed to know. Thanks a bunch!

-Matt