Please sign in to post.

Dress code

We are planning on attending the Christmas service at Norte Dame this year. I'm sure that we will be expected to dress nice since it's Christmas, but we don't really want to pack clothes that we will only be wearing once. Does any one know for sure what the dress code is? Can we get away with jeans and a nice shirt/sweater, or do we need to take slacks and skirt/dress?

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
104 posts

You might want to send them this information request - hate to have you turned away at the door.

Posted by
12040 posts

In France, they won't bar your entrance into church because of what you wear (or don't wear), unlike Italy. To be absolutely safe, you might go with the slacks over jeans (based on what I've seen at church services in France).

Posted by
95 posts

Nikki, we visited Paris during Christmas in 2006 and attended Christmas eve service at the Norte Damn and there was not a dress code at all. I wouldn't pack an extra set of dress clothes for the service. By the way, one of my families best experiences was walking up the stairs to the top of the church to overlook Paris. Enjoy!

Posted by
2030 posts

I went to an organ recital last January at ND and people were nicely dressed in regular street clothes as I recall. To the Xmas service I'd would wear a black slacks, with a nice sweater and perhaps a colorful scarf (perhaps a knit hat or beret if it's cold) black shoes, and a nice jacket or coat - all items that I would recommend you take to Paris in the winter, no matter what you do.

For men I think dark, nice jeans are OK, not baggy or worn ones, dark shoes, not athletic ones, and whatever warm jacket you have. Perhaps a scarf also - everyonw will be wearing them and you can buy nice ones all over town.
Just look as good and festive as you can. Get into the spirit of celebrating in magnificent surroundings. Perhaps someone from Paris can weigh in with more specifics.

Posted by
12172 posts

Your question made me laugh. I was thinking of Chevy Chase in European Vacation getting the whole family matching berets with their names embroidered on them so they would fit in.

Wearing presentable casual clothes will be fine. Hopefully you already have those in your packing list. I'd go with slacks or fitted designer jeans over loose-fitting jeans. If that is the nicest you're packing, however, you won't be turned away.

Have a great trip!