Please sign in to post.

Southern France

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to France next summer and I'm interested in a week-long tour that ends in Brive. My choice, at that point, is taking the train to Paris for a few days or staying in the southern area of France. We will have already spent time in Northern Spain. I'd appreciate any suggestions of towns we shouldn't miss. Thanks!

Posted by
267 posts

Nancy, in order for us to serve you better, you'll need to supply more information.

1. Do you have any particular starting points in mind? I'm glad you narrowed it down to half the country, but it's still quite a sizable half with lots to see.

2. What do you like? Tiny villages? Booming metropolitan areas? Towns with markets? Night life? France has all sorts of flavors - we can help find the one appropriate for your palate.

3. How do you plan on traveling? Will you be renting a car? Exploring by train? Ad hoc?

Answering these questions will help us recommend a stellar itinerary. I understand you're in the early stages, but you'll need to do some initial pondering and pick your priorities.

Posted by
681 posts

Sorry I wasn't clearer about my plans. We would be starting in Brive. I love Paris and would be very happy to spend more time there, but I'm wondering what we might be missing in Southwest France. We've been in Provence recently and spent time in central and northern France earlier this year, so I really am focusing on the southwestern corner. Toulouse? Carcassonne? Something on the Atlantic coast? We enjoy small and mid-sized towns, especially those with markets. Our preference is to travel by train, but renting a car is always a possibility.

Posted by
8293 posts

We really enjoy driving in France and have twice started in Bordeaux and gone down the Atlantic coast,(Aquitaine) to the border of Spain. Arcachon, Biarritz, Bayonne and smaller towns on the way, like St. Jean de Luz, are all worth visiting. If you google Aquitaine you will probably find lots of information. But I think you need to do it by car, frankly.

Posted by
1358 posts

That part of France is much easier to drive in than other parts of Europe; I too suggest touring by auto.

If you have seen all you want to see in Paris visit the southern area of France. If not, I would choose Paris every time.

Posted by
4132 posts

From Brive you have a great chance to explore the Perigord and points south, one of the nicest regions in France (and that's saying a lot!)

The charms of the Dordogne river valley are described in some of Rick's books, and I also like the Lot valley. The region includes stunning cave art, great food, and old stone fortresses from the hundred years' war.

Of course Paris is always a contender, but if you have the chance to see some of this area you should at least consider it.

Posted by
359 posts

Google 'maribelsguides.com' for excellent, free, downloadable travel guides for the area around Bayonne, St.Jean de Luz, Biaritz (France), and San Sebastien/Bilbao (Spain). Also has detailed information on back-country Basque towns within 30Kms of the coast in both France and Spain.