Please sign in to post.

WHERE TO STAY IN AMSTERDAM?

Any suggestions as where to stay in Amsterdam?, Burges, and Brussels?

Posted by
67 posts

I just got back and I stayed at Hotel New Amsterdam. It is a short, 5 minute walk from the train station. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. There is also a free coffee machine in the lobby available 24 hours.

Posted by
160 posts

If you're OK w/hostels, try the Shelter:

http://www.shelter.nl/

Please note that it's a Christian hostel, so it doesn't have a mad party atmosphere, and is probably stricter than secular hostels.

Also, it has two locations - I stayed at the City site in 2003 (I was 36 - despite a young vibe, they didn't seem to have an age limit), right in the middle of everything. Check it out!

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks Erik, but I am kinda too old for hostles :-)

Posted by
11 posts

Check out the suggestions in Rick's guide books. I just emailed last night and already have reservations in both Amsterdam and Burges. The hosts are most helpful, especially when you mention you read about them in Rick's books. Good Luck.

Posted by
91 posts

I just got back from Amsterdam a few months ago. I had a really hard time finding a place to stay- all of Ricks recommendations were full. So I settled on Ibis. Not the one across from the station, but near the flea market.

It was cheap (45 euro a night), had a very nice view of a canal, big comfy beds, and a lovely shower with hot, hot water. It lacks charm, but it's nice, convienent and safe.

www.ibishotel.com

I stayed in a B&B in Bruge- right on the edge of town. I can't remember the name of it but it is in Ricks book. It's cheap (20 euro a night) but not a hostel. And they serve excellent breakfast.

Posted by
360 posts

I like the Hotel Wiechmann on Princengracht. I especially like their breakfast room which looks very Dutch & has windows looking out on 2 canals. To be honest, I haven't stayed there in over 10 yrs. I wasn't able to get a room when I visited This past April. I stopped in tho to look around & it appears the same. Kinda "old Worldish". It'll be my first choice when I next go to Amsterdam.

Posted by
192 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Washington when in Amsterdam a year ago. Quiet area, very close to trams, decent breakfast, no elevator, friendly hosts.

Posted by
174 posts

We stayed in the Hotel Hoksbergen on Singel canal. 17th-century house, very steep steps, but friendly, nice, and clean. info@hotelhoksbergen.nl
In Bruges we stayed at Hotel Fevery, Sint Denijslaan. Lovely place, English speaking, quiet neighborhood but easy walk to main area. You can get a bus from the train station to a block away. info@hotelfevery.be