Please sign in to post.

Chamonix

I am arriving from Avignon via train to Chamonix. What would you see while here? I'm thinking 3-4 nights... is this too long? Do you think takingt the tram over the hill (via cable car) and spending the night in Aosta Italy is sensible? Just so you know this is for a trip next September.

Posted by
1297 posts

I have been to Chamonix 3 times. The first time we stayed 3 nights (2 full days) and the other 2 times we have stayed 2 nights (1 full day). How long you stay depends on what you enjoy doing. I would not stay longer than 2 full days unless you enjoy hiking. (which I do) If you have other things you want to see on this trip, you could probably cover it pretty well in a day. The things we have enjoyed doing: Aguille du Midi is a must see-particularly if the weather is good. This last September, we could see the Matterhorn from the top. This is also where you catch the cable car to Italy-but it was closed when we were there September 28th. They do close it down the end of September for the season so be aware of that. The Mer de Glace is worth a visit. If you hike, ride the Aguille du Midi down to the first stop and hike over the Mer de Glace glacier. Then take the train back to Chamonix. That is a great day trip. We have also hiked on the opposite of the valley on the Grand Balcony. There is also a nice river walk up the valley that you can go as far as you want. As far as in town-we have mainly just shopped around, washed clothes (a great laundry is just up from where the Aguille Du Midi leaves-self serve and stays open until fairly late-however no change machine so bring lots of euros), and ate: Wonderful inexpensive crepe places, pastry places and some good fairly reasonable restaurants. My advice: no more than 3 nights 2 full days.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would like to second the suggestion to walk across the balcony. It was a wonderful walk even though I was totally not fit enough. It was spectacular and I think I would do it again even knowing how much I hurt the next day! I took the train to Switzerland the day after my hike, which was a good thing for my muscles. it was scenic ride and I had nice walk around the town. I loved Chamonix.

Pam

Posted by
46 posts

Can you do any of this Chamonix tour in winter?

Posted by
976 posts

To the inquiry about winter tours: You could ski or cross country there and in the other small towns nearby. Lots of ski clothing sold year round and the official website has more info. Once you get there, Rick's book diagram makes sense. Chamonix itself is a small town and you can walk all over it in a couple of hours or less. BTW, even the Chamonix web site says the train is slow.