Please sign in to post.

24 hours in Amsterdam

My boyfriend wanted to see Amsterdam at end of 2 week trip to Italy - so fitting in! Flying in on September 10 - arrive 2:00 pm. Flight out on September 11 at 5:00 pm. Suggestions for hotel (no limit on price)?
Suggestions on what to see in that amount of time? Thinking Anne Frank house, Coffeehouse, walk nightlife, or????? Thanks!

Posted by
9100 posts

For just one night, stay at the Ibis which is connected to Centraal Station.If you want something more plush stay at the brand new Doubletree across the street. Anne Frank is open until around 9pm. If you want to go to the Rijks Museum get there when it opens at 9am. When I visited a few weeks ago, there were long lines to get in my noon time.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks so much! I've been to Amsterdam before - so the 24-hours is to make use of the airfare to Europe at end of the Italy trip.... And allow my boyfriend to see at least one other country while we are over. Love the ideas on timing to get in couple sights over the time and hotels close to station / central will allow that too. Thanks again.

Posted by
2829 posts

If you want to visit the Anne Frankhuis, book your ticket in advance. It will save you the queuing up on the museum. Fortunately, the museum is located on a very nice part of the city, a pleasant place to walk by. I would do the following: Sep. 10th - after you arrive and check-in, visit the Anne Frankhuis. Book your ticket (in advance, online) on the last time slot of the day. If you arrive earlier, good for you: take a walk around. After your visit, if you are not too tired you can go for a stroll on the area between Rembrandtplent and Leidseplien - much more interesting than walking around De Wallen or other areas nearby by night. Sep. 11th - I'd make a long morning walk starting on the Voldenpark, veering left to the Jordan, then heading to the sights on the canal belt core. You can fit a canal cruise on that, depending how early you get out. I'd stay overnight on some hotel near Leidseplein. If you can splurge, there is a Hyatt close by. I would NOT stay close to the central station. It will stick you with the part of the city that looks more like a circus than anything else. You can arrange with the hotel you will be staying in (especially if it is a more expensive one) to have your luggage stored while you go enjoy the city on the morning and have checked-out. You then go back to the hotel, pick up your bags and head to the airport.

Posted by
9100 posts

You're very welcome Carol. Another good hotel very near Centraal Station is the Avenue Hotel. If you want to be in the middle of the action on Dam Square, the RHO Hotel is a good budget option plus all room rates include a hot buffet breakfast; very rare for a three star hotel. For good eats check out the German Vapiano chain. It does Pizza and Pasta in a marketplace format, all dishes are prepared in front of you....good value for money. There are two locations: one on Leidsplien, and another at the city library near Centraal Station. Another good eatery with the same format as Vapiano is La Place at the V&D department store on Munstplien.