Please sign in to post.

Normandy

We are spending 4 nights in Normandy next September. I'd like to split up the nights between two cities. After flying into Paris, we'll grab the rental car and then drive up to Giverny. I had initially planned on two nights in Rouen, and then two in Bayeux, before heading out to Mont St. Michel. However, someone else highly recommended Honfleur. Out of the three, which two would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice!

Posted by
515 posts

We spent 4 nights in Bayeux in June. Very special town with lovely cathedral and the Tapestry, of course. But it depends on what you plan to do. We did 3 days of touring WWII battle sites with Battlebus Tours. We stayed at the Hotel Churchill which now also offers a day tour to Mont St. Michel. Have never been to Honfleur, but heard it's wonderful, too. Before traveling to Bayeux by train from Paris, we spent a few hours in Rouen to see Hotel Dieu where my father was stationed in 1944. Rouen can be easily seen in a day trip, as I think Rick suggests in his France book...we walked all over the place, saw the cathedral, Joan of Arc sites, the Gros Horloge big clock, lovely streets, along the river, etc...I don't think I would spend even one night there. I think Rick Steves recommends riding train out of Paris and picking up rental cars in smaller towns like Bayeux or other, but we simply rode the trains without renting a car. Hope you have a marvelous trip!

Posted by
3 posts

I recently returned from a 3 week trip to France. We went to various cities via train and REALLY enjoyed Bayeux. We did not stay at the Hotel Churchill in Bayeux but did take the day trip through them to Mont St. Michel. There was only 6 of us on the mini bus (van) tour for the day trip to Mont St. Michel. We also took the one day Battlebus tour of the American Highlights with the tour guide Dale...absolutely outstanding.
Also absolutely outstanding was the B&B we stayed at. It was called Hotel de Sainte Croix www.hotel-de-sainte-croix.com Our room was called Josephine. It was huge, spotlessly clean, beautiful bathroom and the very best breakfast I have ever had all for 73 euros.
You will love France...wonderfully kind, helpful people. Are you spending time in Paris?
Susan

Posted by
4132 posts

Bayeux for sights and Honfleur for atmosphere, though Rouen can make a very rewarding day trip.

Personally I'd chose Rouen over Giverney as a stop enroute to Honfleur. But to answer your question, Bayeux and Honfleur as places to spend the night.

Posted by
408 posts

Jennifer,
I am doing a similar trip next April/May. We are starting in paris then staying 3 nights in Amboise. We are then driving to Mont Saint Micheal for one night and then driving to Bayeaux for 4 nights. I have also heard that honfleur is very nice so we are spending one night there. There are so many nice towns to pick from that it makes it hard to decide what to see and do. We are doing Normany and Bastogne area for history sights. Have a fun trip and please write a post on your return.

Posted by
34 posts

Jennifer, I was in Normandy in September and I would also highly recommend Honfleur. It is one of the most charming towns I have ever seen. Bayeux is also a good choice. Be sure to see the tapestry. We did the D-day beaches with Battlebus tours and it is quite an experience. I did have to buy a coat, hat, and gloves as it was much cooler than I expected, especially on the beaches.

A stop off in Givery is certainly worth it. There were still a lot of flowers in bloom in September and the lily pond is so beautiful you can't take a bad picture of it.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. September is a great time to go. Normandy and the Dordogne regions were my favorite places in France.

Posted by
7 posts

I can't say which location would be best, but I can recommend a very very nice place to stay in Bayeux. It is a detached (freestanding) cottage, but the owners also offer several nice B&B rooms on the same property. The rates are quite reasonable (in Sept the cottage - 3 bedrooms - rents for 420 Euros per week) and the B&B rooms are 75 euros per night for 2 people - less than most hotels and much cozier. See the website at http://www.relaisdelaure.com/

The owners, Rene and Christine are very friendly and hospitable. The property is 500 years old, but all modernized - about a mile from major grocery store and about 1.5 to 2 miles to center of Bayeux (cathedral).

We stayed in the cottage for 3 weeks and explored most of Normandy - with side trips to Mont St Michel (90 mins drive from Bayeux) and Caen (20 mins drive from Bayeux), among others.

A fun, short trip (17 miles) was Chateau Balleroy - owned by Malcolm Forbes family - with its 17th century chateau AND hot air ballon museum!

Terry & George

Posted by
98 posts

I agree that Rouen can be seen in a day. I took a train from Paris, and stopped at Rouen en route to Bayeux/Caen. I think I stayed for about 5 hours and I felt I saw much of the town. I followed the audiotour from the tourist office. Bayeux is a good base for seeing the D-Day beaches. From Mont St. Michel, I actually stayed a night at St. Malo, which was nice.

Posted by
8950 posts

We stayed at the same place in Bayeux as Susan. Really, this is a beautiful B&B, it made my whole trip to Normandy extra special. The owner made the most scrumptious chocolate tart for breakfast. We did the 2 day American experience tour and were happy that we spent both days as it was well worth the money. We would like to go back and do the Canadian Experience and the British Experience tours some day.

Posted by
3 posts

In the summer of 2009 I plan to cycle in Normandy. I will ferry from Portsmouth to LeHarve any cyle the coast to Bayeaux and Ste Mere Eglise. How are the "D" Roads?

Via train and bicycle it's on to Versaille then north to Belgium and Germany.

I know where my father's military unit was from D-Day to the end of the war.
I plan to travel by bicycle, train, ferry and stay in youth hostels when possible. I plan to spend 5-8 days in south England visiting the areas where my father's unit, 4th Cavalry Group. US Army was bivouacked in Quonset huts.

Please let me know of the "Must See Places" and good hostels. I prefer to stay in the smaller towns.

merci, Val