Please sign in to post.

walking shoes

Does anyone have a suggestion for a comfortable and weather proof casual shoe? I will be in Germany and France for 3 weeks in December and am concerned about the wet weather and possibly snow. I would like to have a pair of shoes for all occasions if possible.(no hiking) Or is there a good sealant to put on shoes? This is my first trip. Thanks for the help.

Posted by
23267 posts

There is a whole site called, "Best Walking Shoe." Go look there -- nearly every brand is recommended.

Posted by
34 posts

Try "Sierra Trading Post". I bought some great boots there for Austria this Christmas. They have all types of shoes and boots at discount prices.

Posted by
123 posts

I looked on forums for information but everyone recommended KEEN and I did not find them to be the best shoe for me. I bought a pair of Dansko and I love them...if you get them get a size or two bigger and wear them to break them in soon! Best of luck.

Posted by
5678 posts

You are going to have try some on. I have found that Finn Comfort's to be really good for me. I've also worn Dansko and Joseph Siebert. I would look for a store that carries these brands and then go try some on. Comfort seems to vary from feet to feet. ; )

Posted by
51 posts

I recommend the SAS loafer-style walking shoe, which is very, very comfortable. I had absolutely no problems and the breaking-in period was non-existent.

The shoe has a leather upper, but I'm not sure if it's sealed. I wore mine in wet and snowy weather without problems. While we did encounter a lot of rain and wet conditions, snow exposure was limited and wasn't very deep.

Posted by
3551 posts

Shoes are so specific to ea individual. Go to Nordstron and have them fit you and waterproof your shoe.ie Ecco, Keen etc

Posted by
1357 posts

I've had great luck with Merrill and Ecco shoes. Both are suede, and I just bought a can of suede waterproofing spray. I've had my Merrill's for 7 years, and there's still not a stain on 'em.