Please sign in to post.

VAT refunds

Hi,

Bought some merchandise in Paris(Printemps). They processed the forms and they said to go to airport to process. He didn't speak english fluently. I don't fly out of CDG airport as I took the train to Spain. I'll be flying out from Barcelona then Madrid then London heathrow and back to Vancouver. Do I give the form to official in Barcelona. I assume I use third party processor such as Global tax refunds? Is it easy process? Thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

You should have had the forms stamped and turned in at the airport before you left France (not sure train stations have the same facilities for VAT refunds). You have to prove you are taking the merchandise out of the country. Ordinarily it's a simple process -- just go to the counter for VAT refunds, and they stamp the forms, and you drop them in the box. Then a few weeks later your refund will appear on your credit card statement (or you'll receive a check). I'm not sure if you'll be able to turn in forms from France in Spain, but you might, since they are both EU members.

Posted by
3603 posts

It's my understanding (and I KNOW someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that you have to leave your forms at your last EU airport. The point is to be sure that you are taking the goods out of the EU. That's why a French person, for example, can't claim the refund on stuff they're taking home from Germany. If they could, lots of people would be crossing borders to shop for major expenditures. In recent years, when we had a claim to make, we've always done it through Global; rather than wait for a refund, that though possibly larger, is less certain to materialize.

Posted by
1449 posts

you will be able to get the form processed in Spain; in fact, that's the correct procedure. It's when you leave the EU that you submit the form.

Also, don't check the luggage with your merchandise in UNTIL you've gotten the form stamped by customs. They have the right to demand you show them the merchandise (I guess to make sure you didn't buy it for a EU friend and are claiming the credit). They've never asked me to show it on my infrequent times I've had a VAT refund, but they could. So give yourself some extra time at the Barcelona airport and ask at the info desk where the customs office is.

Posted by
21 posts

Kevin,

Every person I talk to has had a different experience trying to collect the VAT.

I did some shopping in Italy and the store clerk deducted the VAT discount at the register. This happened at the Ferrogamo shops in Rome and Florence. It was very convenient, but I don't know if it was proper.

This website has some helpful info under Travel Tips.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/vat.htm

Posted by
153 posts

It is correct that you present the paperwork at the last airport prior to leaving the European Union. You are supposed to have the articles with you when you submit the forms, and they are supposed to be new and unused. This can be a tad inconvenient, and the lady at H.M. Customs at Gatwick let my wife get away with not having the items with her, but said if we had anything expensive she wouldn't have.

In Ireland, you often have the discount applied by the merchant without showing them anything. In other places, there are rules about minimum purchase amounts, showing your passport, etc.

The bottom line is that it is often more trouble than it is worth but if you are buying something expensive it might work.

Posted by
1449 posts

Lisa, in Italy merchants can deduct the VAT tax and save you the trouble of waiting for the refund check. I did this in Florence when I purchased a nice leather bag.

However you STILL have to get the forms stamped by customs when you leave and submit them. I can't remember if I got the envelope from the retailer or from customs, but it was free to mail it back to the customs authorities in Italy; I just dropped it into a mailbox in the airport. If you don't then the clauses from the fine print on the receipt you got kick in; they'lll charge your credit card for the VAT amount.