Please sign in to post.

Paris Restaurants

31 days till wheels up! Can I get some recommendations on where to take my 15 year old daughter to a real French restaraunt? I've got Rick's Paris 08 book but wanted to check with you guys. We're staying in rue cler. I didn't want to pack a coat and tie but if I have to. Thanks Tom

Posted by
10344 posts

An authority on Paris restaurants is Michelin. You can get excellent recommendations at their website: Michelin Paris restaurant recommendationsThe website is more useful if you click some of the selections, such as food type, arrondisement, and whether you want the Michelin recommended restaurants (I'd say that you do).

Posted by
689 posts

Cafe Constant, on Rue St Dominique very close to Rue Cler. It's a cafe run by a Michelin starred chef, so the food is top notch but the setting is casual (no coat/tie needed). Last time I was there they had an English chalkboard menu which kind of bugged me but if your menu French isn't good, it is helpful. It is very popular so go early if you can (they open at 7). Everything is delicious--it's my favorite restaurant in Paris, and we go to Paris just to eat.

Posted by
360 posts

I love Thoumieux which is in Rick's book. I've eaten there every trip to Paris for the past 20 yrs. it just looks soooo French. I enjoy the food and the staff are very friendly. I generally travel by myself & always have a nice time there. Another restaurant that I visit most times is La Fountaine de Mars (also in Rick's book). Both of these are very french with most of the customers being French (as far as I can tell), & in the case of Thoumieux, repeat customers. I'm basing that on how they're greated by the staff. It feels much like a friendly neighborhood restaurant. I'll be there myself in about 15 days. Also, make a reservation for no earlier than 8pm. Otherwise, you'll not be eating with the locals.

Posted by
2030 posts

I hate to recommend these, because they are in Rick's book and filled with Americans, but Cafe du Marche and Tribecca (though it's Italian) next door to it are very good -- right on rue Cler. They are casual, no need for a coat and tie.

Posted by
448 posts

i'll check back later with suggestions (perhaps repeating previous ones), but i STILL don't understand what's the problem with having a blackboard menu in English or one with "subtitles"...Everyone complains about going to museums "where everythings in French"...so appreciate that a few words in English increases the odds of you ordering a food that will please you.

Posted by
7209 posts

We visited La Varangue with Phillipe (from Rick's book) and the food was excellent. Phillipe is a very nice person and fun to talk to. He is very accomodating as we took our group of 20 persons and filled up the entire little dining room.

Posted by
220 posts

For its very Parisian ambiance, I like Au Petit Riche (25 Rue de Peletier, 9th arrondissement).

Posted by
43 posts

I second both Cafe du Marche and Tribeca. Both were very good and relaxing. I would say I preferred the food at Tribeca better but Cafe du Marche is definitely more of what you are thinking of. We also ate at Le Bosquet several years ago a few streets over and loved our meal.

Posted by
9422 posts

We loved a RS recommended restaurant on Ile Saint Louis (the little island behind Notre Dame) called Cafe Med. It was wonderful. They have a 3 course dinner that we especially loved..home-made creamy vegetable soup, curried chicken with rice, and creme caramel for dessert, for about $15 (I can't remember exactly). There are other good things on the menu too. The ambience was great, it's right on the main street running through the island on rue Saint Louis. It's a tiny restaurant, very French and the staff were really nice and friendly. The island itself is worth going to, it's my favorite part of Paris.

Posted by
80 posts

We loved Chez Clement, just behind the fountain in St. Michael's square.

Posted by
25 posts

I must diet till departure time. LOL

Thanks everyone for you input!

Posted by
837 posts

I second Chez Clement. Most of the posters have not mentioned pricing, and I don't know whether it is important. If so, as I recall from fall 2007, Chez Clement is reasonable. At approximately a 1.4 to one exchange rate, I believe two of us had three course dinners and a bottle of wine for around $50. Also enjoyed a very small restaurant, Piano.

Posted by
1014 posts

When we were in Paris this summer, we went walking down the Seine. We walked across the bridge, close to the Louvre, and down a ramp to the water. Down this road was a parking lot and there was a floating restaurant. They were having some type of formal dinner there. Everyone was dressed beautifully. Women in long gowns, men in tux. My point is there is a static restaurant on the river that you can eat at. I know nothing about prices. Also, there are river cruises in the evenings that include dinner. I have read that the food is good, and I have read that the food is bad. Maybe someone who has done the cruise will chime in.

Posted by
101 posts

Just got back from Paris. We spent nearly every night in or around the Place De Contrescarpe [close to our apartment] Nearest metro stop is possibly Rue Monge. We ate at Delmars, Cafe Contrescarpe and Vulcan which is just round the corner. Its also right at the top of Rue Mouffetard and there are were more restaurants down there than in the space of 100 yards than in the whole of my local town!
There is also a Haagen Daz ice cream shop in the square. Extremely lively area at night and no need to dress up. Prices ranged from about 24 euros per person for the prix fixe menu etc. Hope this helps.

Posted by
53 posts

Chartier on Rue Montmartre in the 9th. Very affordable good simple brasserie food and packed everynite but we walked in without any problem 2 weeks ago.