Please sign in to post.

Paris in August...

Does anyone have any opinions about traveling in Paris in August? Also, whether it's a decent time to see the Alsace area too?

Posted by
15112 posts

Paris is great anytime. Just remember, many Parisians take their vacations in August.

Posted by
11507 posts

I like Paris in August, hotel prices are lower,, but make sure you get a/c as it can be hot( to me anyways).I find crowds are not as bad either, June and September are worse I think.
The few closures rarely affect me as I do not eat in may high end restaurants( I find most in touristy areas now stay open through summer) and I do not shop much at all, so the few small shops that are closed for holidays don't affect my trip at all. All tourist sites remain open .

Posted by
286 posts

I needed an extra duvet in Paris this past trip in August! It was cold and wet so you just don't know until the times comes closer... even then pack an umbrella and a sweater!

Paris is great anytime!

Posted by
3551 posts

This Aug. I was in Alsace area. It was not crowded in restaurants and just general tourist visits. Our weather was perfect and no rain. It is very helpful to have a car for this area. Skip Strasbourg unless you are training in to pick up a car rental.Otherwise it is a bit seedy.If youa re staying in B&B, Gites or budget hotels best reserve ahead.
I love Paris in Aug except for the heat. I realize this yr was an exception. A/c can be a godsend during the Aug . heatwave.

Posted by
10242 posts

I was in Paris in August 2006 and I didn't have any problems with things being closed. There were long lines at the Eiffel Tower and the Louve, but I'm sure that is a common occurence most times of the year. The weather for us was very pleasant, with a little bit of rain. That can vary from year to year of course. I would recommend AC, just to be safe.

Posted by
689 posts

If you are into food and want to eat at good, non-touristy restaurants, it's not a good time. Many (most?) are closed.

Posted by
10344 posts

Many (probably accurate to say most) of the Paris Michelin 2 and 3 star restaurants close for most or all of August. We haven't had any reports of tourists starving in August, but for someone who wanted to eat at a 2-star or 3-star Michelin restaurant, August would not be the month to go.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well Christy I do not agree with you at all.. it is entirely possible to eat good non touristy food in August too,, not all good restaurants close down for August, especially now, and many I notice do not close for the entire month , but sometimes now only for a few weeks.

Posted by
27 posts

Actually, I have to agree with Christy. In August, the locals are gone (they're taking vacation in the Riviera or in Spain), and that includes a large number of restaurant owners. So which restaurants stay open in August ? The ones that cater to the major population that's left - the tourists. And restaurants that cater to tourists tend to not offer the same quality fare that they'd offer to the more discerning palate of the local customers.

Posted by
10242 posts

I was there in August 2006 and did not notice many places being closed. The weather varied between nice and cool/rainy. This was just after a major heatwave that had affected most of Europe. I sure would have liked A/C in Germany when I was there! By Paris it was fine, but I had booked a place with A/C...just in case.

Posted by
154 posts

I was there in August and most of the shops and places to eat were open. It's not like the city is completely closed down. I'm from Florida and ... well hot is relative. I brought a light jacket LOL.

Ya'll would be dropping over here in Florida if you think Paris is hot in the summer. I find 80F to be just barely warm enough.