Please sign in to post.

Just Got Back

Hi everyone,

Just back from a week in London and a week in France (plus one day on account of having to rearrange flights due to the fire in the Chunnel and ending up with an extra day in Paris).

Anyway, thanks for all the advice before we left, here are a few thoughts:

1) Hotel Beaugency vs Grand Hotel Leveque...stayed in Beaugency at the beginning and Leveque at the end. Similar hotels really, free computer with internet at Beaugency but rooms slightly larger in Leveque (we stayed in 2 rooms because we had to change rooms when we extended our stay)

2) La Grange in Amboise - extremely spacious rooms and comfortable beds. Mme Savin was extremely helpful and sweet, although the fact that my French is pretty good really helped -- she and my husband had trouble communicating when I went back up to the room to get something. Also, when we got there, there was nobody there since she got stuck at an appointment and her husband works during the days...but a neighbour contacted her and let us in with her key. But would definitely stay there again.

3) La Commanderie in St. Emilion - it was fine, not exciting or anything but fine. Although they nitpicked--we asked the front desk to call a cab for us to go back to the train station since I'm fine in person but nervous on the phone in French, and he charged us 1,50 euro for about a 30-second call...thought that was chincy

Posted by
11507 posts

Oh ,, I agree that is very cheap of them to charge you for phoning a taxi,, I have never heard of that ,, that is really shameful.. talk about lack of service.