Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Germany

My wife and I are spending Christmas in Germany this yaer. We plan on spending Dec. 21 and 22 in Cologne to enjoy the Christmas market and festivities. Our plan has been to go to Munich after that from Dec. 23-25. Any recommendations on a better idea? Maybe a smaller town somewhere in Germany, or another big city?

Thanks!

Mark

Posted by
671 posts

If you want to see Munich, I am sure it will be fine. On the same dates, I will be staying in a small town near Nuremberg and Rothenburg, but it's my mom's hometown and where my grandfather lives, so that's why we picked it. Remember that not a lot will be open from the evening of the 24th through the 26th, so you need to decide what will be important to you to do on those days to do. For instance, we are staying in an apartment during that part of our stay, spending time with family, visiting a few graves, going to church, and spending quiet time in the apartment relaxing. Do you like the outdoors or city life? Do you want to hit cultural spots or relax?

Are you only in Germany the 21st through the 25th? How did you pick Cologne?

Posted by
116 posts

Another Mark from Chicago asked a similar question recently here: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/21575/christmas-in-munich.html

I'm guessing you're the same person. I would seriously consider going to the ski areas and go skiing since most places will essentially be shut down for the Christmas holidays. (ie-the week after Christmas) Everything is definitely closed on the 25th, grocery stores will close early on the 24th. The 23rd should be a normal day, but the Christmas Markt may already be shut down.

Posted by
116 posts

PS-
Just a 'head's up' because I've recently been looking at hotels/rentals in southern Germany for a hiking/tour trip I've noticed that the 'high season rates' kick up again during the Christmas holidays since many people head down there to ski.

Posted by
144 posts

You definitely need to look into reservations now for your trip. We tried for weeks to get a room in Garmisch for New Years, to no avail, and we are familiar with the area. This is our traditional New Years celebration, so we are disappointed. Looks like we will be spending both Christmas and New Years in our condo in Wurzburg--we have never stayed there that long, so it should be an interesting experiment.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the insight. This is the same Mark that posted before. I'm just not sure what to expect as far as things to do around Christmas; not that I have to be entertained all the time. I am looking for an authentic experience, even celebrating with some locals.

I chose Cologne because I was there three years ago and really liked the vibe of the city, especially with the Christmas Market.

Posted by
1481 posts

"I am looking for an authentic experience, even celebrating with some locals."

We lived in Germany for 6 years. One of those Christmases we spent in Salzburg. The time before Christmas was great with the markets and decorations. Christmas Eve, Christmas day and the 26th were not a public event. People stayed home or with family for Christmas. I am not sure how you would crack that to spend time with locals.

Regards, Gary

Posted by
8942 posts

Cologne sounds like a great place to be. The people there are lots of fun, and the Alt Stadt is cool too. The chocolate museum wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but some folks like it. It is also close to Dusseldorf and Trier. The 24th, everything is closed down after about 15:00. Restaurants, movie theaters will be open on the 25th and 26th and sometimes concerts, etc. You will just have to check the tourist bureau sites for those cities.

Posted by
1819 posts

Is your heart set on Germany or would you consider Austria instead? We had a memorable Christmas vacation in Innsbruck and Salzburg, both of which had outstanding Christmas markets, and finally Badgastein for the Christmas holidays of December 24-26.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Mark,
Last year we were in Colmar (Alsace region of France) for 3 days after Christmas and it was beautiful. The Christmas market was still in full swing. From there we went to Baden Baden for 3 days--a smaller German town--we enjoyed the spa experience. We flew into Stuttgart and took the train. Just another option to consider...you'll have a great time wherever you decide to go!

Posted by
221 posts

we were in Rothenburg a few days before Christmas and I would go back there in a heart beat. the city closes down pretty much as families enjoy the holiday, but you can make your own holiday. It was really beautiful, quiet and quaint. The Christmas market there is little but as charming as they come.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi, Mark,

I don't know what age group you fit into, but if you and your wife are young-ish (20s - 30s), I think there is a way for you to "celebrate with the locals." I was in Germany for Christmas in 2005, visiting a family in a very small town outside of Frankfurt. As you probably know, Germans celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, and this was, as noted by others here, a quiet, family event (we went to church, exchanged gifts, went to bed early). However, Christmas day was a big party. I ended up at a local club called (hilariously) "Enchilada," where there were literally hundreds of young Germans drinking, dancing, and having a good time. Even as an outsider who spoke little German, I felt warmly included.