Please sign in to post.

Chantilly, France

Has anyone traveled to Chantilly, France? Is it a good day trip from Paris?

Posted by
11507 posts

I have stayed near Chantilly ( with relatives) twice. I love visiting the Chateau , and the Royal Stables, and the Horse Museum..

It is not a difficult daytrip from Paris.
You get the train from Gare Du Nord.
Takes about 35 mintues.
Since I have not done it I cannot give many details.

When you arrive in Chantilly you must either take the bus to Chateau, or you can walk. Lovely walking trail along the side of Chantilly forest. About a 30 minute walk( I have not done it, only seen it as we drove by in car and uncle said it was a lovely walk ) . You could also catch a taxi, it couldn't cost much at all, less then 10 euros I imagine.

I love that Chantilly is never crowded( and I have only ever been in July and August) , , take your time and enjoy the Chateau, use the audio guides, they are great. Enjoy being in a great hall with only one or two other people, instead of one or two HUNDRED,, like at Versailles, ( which BTW I still love)

The Chateau contains the amazing Musee Du Conde,, paintings by Raphael, Pouisson, many others. In fact the Chateua is well regarded for having the second most impressive painting collection in France, only preceded by the Lourve.

The grounds are small, but you can walk through them to a lovely outdoor cafe that features ( of course) many desserts made with Chantilly Cream!

The Royal Stables are so impressive, I mean, when my daughter first saw them from the outside she asked if that was the Chateau..LOL