Please sign in to post.

Zermatt Switzerland

Planning to spend 2 night in Zermatt Switzerland. Besides the Matterhorn museum, looking for ideas on handling bad weather days. We are hoping to hike but forecast is currently for rain this weekend. Suggestions? also favorite hike in the Zermatt area weather permittine?

Posted by
11507 posts

I hiked up to the hut on the Matterhorn, views are amazing.Most fairly fit people can do it . It is not for very old( unless Swiss , see below) , or very fat people ( not that you are,, LOL ) neither would I take children under 12 or so( unless your kids are really into hiking and are not reckless) .

There are many lower level hikes right from town, they are always signed with time to walk ( hint if it says it takes 1 hr, it will likely take you longer unless you are quite fit) , maybe 1hr 15 or so. My dad says they time them using 80 yr Swiss grannies, ,, which equals what the average 35 yr old North American can do...LOL We were passed by a white haired elderly lady coming down from hut,, and she was by herself.. and my dad ( around 65 or so I think) even thought she was elderly, we figured about 80 at least.they are tough or we are wimps you pick...LOL

If weather is nice take cog railway up to Gornergrant( I think I have spelt that wrong , sorry ) views into Italy and France, amazing. Have a 10 dollar hot chocolate,, LOL

Posted by
11 posts

Sounds good. Yes I think the Swiss are in much better shape than most Americans.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by
264 posts

We took some advice and decided to do our hiking downhill. We took the cog railway up to the top, had our "10 dollar hot chocolate" (Probably 15 now with inflation), and just got off the train part of the way back down. From there everything was well signposted and lots of people are out.

I really don't think Zermatt is much of a bad weather place to tell the truth. Not like there is a great art museum etc to attend. That being said I probably would go find a seat at Grampi's and just watch the people go by. Fondue would be great on a bad weather day.