Please sign in to post.

Bavaria

This will be my first trip to Germany in early October, we will be flying into Munich we have 10 nites and spending 2 in Munich. Would like to see Bavaria and Salzburg. Any suggestions for an intinary? We will have a rental car. We are open for suggestions and opinions. Thanks, Linda

Posted by
2898 posts

Hi Linda,
A few suggestions...
I'd base in Berchtesgaden area (we stayed in Ramsau) for seeing Salzburg. Salzburg is just a short drive from here.
From here you can easily see...
Salzburg, Konigssee, Jennerbahn, Eagles Nest, Berchtesgaden's old town and maybe Herrenchiemsee Palace. You could also stop and see this palace on your drive from Munich to Berchtesgaden.

I can also recommend Mittenwald as a place to base out of for a few nights.
from here you can easily see...
Zugspitze, Garmich-Partenkirchen, Ettal Monestary, Oberammergau, Linderhof Castle.

Another good place to base in a few nights would be Fussen.
Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, Linderhof, Tegelbergbahn and the luge ride and the Wieskirche. Also, Fussen is a very picturesque old town.

From or back to Munich, I highly recommend stopping at Andechs Monestary. Beautiful church and very nice beer gardens in a quintessential Bavarian countryside setting.

Our recent photos
www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul

Posted by
12 posts

Paul

Thank you! I just needed a little guidance, it can be a bit overwhelming planning a trip like this. What are your thoughts on Rothenburg? Is it worth making a effort to see. Thanks again, Linda

Posted by
147 posts

I would make sure to drive down to Halstatt from Salzburg. You might also want to go to Vienna since you're so very close to it. I'd do that before I went all the way to Rothenburg.

Be sure to go to all the towns mentioned in Bavaria, it is wonderful and Munich is great too!

Have fun!

Posted by
2898 posts

Hi Linda,
I've never been to Rothenburg, so I can't comment on that. Just to elaborate on the above post, we took a day trip from Ramsau (Berchtesgaden) to Hallstatt. Easy and very scenic drive of about 1:30 each way. I think you're going to love Germany! We have been 4 times to Bavaria and Austria and always in October. Fantastic weather (IMO).

Paul

Posted by
152 posts

Another neat place to stay in on Lake Chiemsee. We were able to go in all directions from there including Salzberg. I will be going to Hallstatt this trip. Also staying in Ruette as Rick's suggestion.

Posted by
12040 posts

I'd only recommend Fussen as a place to stay if you won't have a car... which you said you will. It's a little too touristy and you tend to meet more foreigners there than Germans. There are so many better options in the area (Reutte, Garmish-Partenkirchen, Grainau, Mittenwald, Oberammergau, Ehrwald, etc). Fussen, in my opinion, over-exploits its proximity to the castles at Schwangau.

That being said, because you plan to visit in early October, probably the busiest time for tourists in Bavaria, a short stay in Fussen might be a good idea to get an early start to Schwangau. I've heard it can get mobbed by mid-day in the summer and around Oktoberfest.