Please sign in to post.

Public Transportation in Paris

Ok - so my travel agent is really trying to talk me into buying the Paris Visite Pass. But I read RS Paris book and he says it is not worth it. Is it worth it or not, and if not what is the best public transportation pass to buy for 4 days?
Thanks

Posted by
8700 posts

If those four days begin on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, a Carte Orange loaded on a passe Navigo Decouverte card MIGHT be a good deal. (You would have to take a lot of rides to make it pay for itself.) Otherwise, buy carnets of ten t+ tickets. For a list of all your options with links to each one, go here.

Posted by
506 posts

Most likely your agent is looking at the number of days you are traveling and thus recommending the Visite because it gives this flexibility.

I would consider your plans - for example if you are planning a day at Versailles you will be purchasing separate tickets for this event. Thus you are already down to 3 days - given you will have minimum travel trips in Paris on this day.

You can actually not only purchase a carnet of 10 tickets - but if you realize that your days plans will mean lots of metro or bus trips, purchase a 1 day viste pass when you are here and supplement the other days with the carnet.

It seems typical that most people walk much more frequently than they use the Metro.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you buy a one-day pass, make it a Mobilis pass rather than a Paris Visite pass. Much cheaper! (See the link I gave in my first post.)