Please sign in to post.

Corsica

I am going to Versailles the end of October for a medical education meeting. I wanted to explore other parts of the country. I read Rick Steve's France and was surprised there wasn't any mention of Corsica. I am trying to decide between Dordogne, French Alps or Corsica for 3-4 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
10344 posts

Laurie: I don't think you read the legalese when you logged onto this website. If it's not mentioned in Rick's book, you can't go there.

(okay, seriously) Rick intends his books to be selective, not comprehensive, in the sense that he gives you his opinion on the most important appropriate sights for what he believes his readership to be, say a North American largely middle class audience who can afford to go to Europe (well maybe not these days) but not Corsica. But it sounds like you really want to go. What we can do is have the Helpline Board give you a pass to go, one time only, as an exception to policy.

Posted by
506 posts

Corsica is beautiful. It is the playground of the French elite as well. Typically, if you are anyone you are off to your home in Corisca during the summer months.

My guess for the lack of mention by Rick has to do with the fact that it is not typically within the price range of the readership.

Corsica is an island one cannot truly visit all of its regions in 3-4 days. Roads are slow and car rental will be a must. You will probably need to determine if you are more interested in the beach or the mountains. northern half has more of a French influence where the southern a more Greek influence.

I love Cargese - small less developed town beautiful bay in the Balagne region. Calvi is the larger city near by - and is the ferry point for Scandola Natural Reserve.

You can find self-catering houses as well as hotels.