Please sign in to post.

Hamburg

I will be travelling via train from Neuss (near Düsseldorf) to Hamburg around noon on Sunday Aug 31st. I've been checking out the possible itineraries on the Deutsche Bahn website, but not sure if it's best to purchase & reserve now or if I can wait until I get there. They have a Dauer-Spezial for 49 euros posted as available now.

Also, does anyone have a Rick Steves style single accommodation they recommend in Hamburg - preferably close to the main train station?

Posted by
552 posts

Doug, you can check the website www.hotel.de and you can choose "distance from" train station. A list with distance and prices etc. will come up. When I see one that looks good (price and location) I usually go directly to their website and book. I did that for Hannover in October.

Posted by
1358 posts

Since August is the prime vacation month for Europeans, I would not risk going without RR reservations.

I have read too many horror stories from travelers who had to change travel plans because of crowded trains and hotels in August.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you feel you can commit now to a specific date, time, and train, get the Dauer-Spezial tickets now. You can not only get the best fare, but you can make your reservations online for €2 pP, €4 for a family.

The trouble with ANY of the booking websites is that they only offer the most expensive, culturally sterile hotels, at prices advertised to be low but often no lower than what you could get direct. For the best "German" experience, find a small town on the outskirts and use the town's website to find a small, family run establishment and book direct.

Beware of bookings sites that offer what looks like lower prices but don't include breakfast (which can be obtained extra at an unbelievably high price).