Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt airport to Koln

We will be arriving at Frankfurt airport on a Saturday in September. We wish to catch a train from there to Koln. Which of the two train lines should we use - the regional or the long distance? Thanks. Steve W.

Posted by
22 posts

Lee: Thanking you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the matter. Steve.

Posted by
2297 posts

On consideration the Deutsche Bahn website doesn't tell you about that easily is whether you want to take the train route along the Rhine valley and have those fantastic views from the train. You can do that only if you take a regional train. If you prefer to have the fastest trip possible and take the high-speed ICE train it will use different tracks that bypass the Rhine. The latter option might be the better one if you can't travel during daylight hours.

Posted by
19232 posts

Beatrix has a point. The train line from FRA Fernbahnhof to Köln is one of the fastest in Germany. IntercityExpress trains (ICE) run from the airport non-stop to either the Hbf or the exhibition center (Messe) in less than an hour. They run frequently (better than once per hour). However, they are relatively expensive €116 for two, one way. If you just want to get there, particularly if you have a railpass, that would be the way to go.

On the other hand, if you can spend more time (3+ hours), and don't mind changing trains once or twice, you can use regional trains and go along the scenic Middle Rhine gorge, with it's castles and vinyard. A regional ticket would cost just over €30 each, but both of you could do it for €45,80 using local tickets from FRA to Mainz (€3,60 per person) and from Bonn to Köln (€6,30 pP) and a €26 Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket that covers both of you from Mainz to Bonn. That route would leave from the Regionalbahnhof.

You can also make that trip from FRA to Köln along the Middle Rhein route direct (no changes) by Intercity train (IC) in about 2 hrs. That route leaves from the Fernbahnhof and costs €76 for 2P.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks all. I simply require the quickest and cheapest route. I have already driven along the Rhine many times, and will be doing so again later in this trip. I hate driving and parking in Koln, so I thought I would try taking the train this time around. Thanks again. Steve.

Posted by
8700 posts

Booked well in advance at www.bahn.de, you can get a Dauer-Spezial fare of €29 for the ICE trains. But you'll need to leave yourself plenty of time between your scheduled arrival at Frankfurt and your departure for Koeln. Those tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable so you don't want a late arrival to cause you to miss your train.

Posted by
19232 posts

In business school one of my professor used to talk about "conflicting requirements", such as the best possible product at the lowest possible price. Similarly, the quickest and cheapest route is not on any curve. The quickest route is not the cheapest, and vice versa. I think one of the 2 hour direct (or 1/2 change) IC connections from the airport to Köln via Koblenz is your best compromise.

I would avoid the non-exchangeable Dauer-Spezial tickets. In six flights to Europe this century I have been over an hour late on one flight (17% of the time). I think that's a little too often to risk a $93 ticket. If you leave a two hour cushion you might as well take the regional route, leave when you arrive, and only pay €45.

Posted by
12313 posts

If you have time, the regional train is a pleasant ride and costs less. You could also get off for a break at St. Goar or Bacharach, then hop on the next one.

It really depends on how quickly you want/need to arrive in Koln.