Please sign in to post.

2013 Versions...worth the wait?

Hi, I plan to travel to France in May and after talking to people on this very helpful site I headed to Barnes & Noble to pick up Rick Steves' France and Pocket Paris. Well, then I saw that it is done yearly and his 2013 version is set to come out on November 20th. My question is...is it worth the wait? Do a lot of things typically change?
Also, we are planning on going to Normandy (Bayeux) and Paris mostly (our trip is 10 days including flights so 8 days actually in France). People have suggested the France book, and Pocket Paris, but then I saw there is a PARIS book and a Normandy book. What do I need to make the most of this trip? Also, does anyone know which of these will be having updated version coming out this year? I.E. If pocket Paris isn't being updated then I guess I could get that one now at least.

Posted by
11294 posts

The dates for the next editions of each guidebook are on this website (direct link here). Yes, Rick does really update the books each time. If you can't get the latest edition, be sure to check the online updates here. But since you're going in May, I'd say you should get the newest books possible. For a first trip to Paris, I'd get the full Paris book, not the pocket one. If you're just getting the pocket one, you may be able to get by with just the information in the France book. Take a look at each one to see which suits you best. If you're only going to Paris and Normandy, you can cut up the book and take only the front portion, saving space and weight. Some (like me) love to do this, while others are horrified at the idea. If you do it, be sure to tape up the pieces, so they don't fall apart.

Posted by
328 posts

We are traveling to France in June 2013. We just bought the Paris 2012 and Provence 2011. The 2011 was deeply discounted. We really didn't want to wait to start our planning with the books. We already own a France 2008. We just figure that prices quoted will naturally be a little higher.
When the new editions come out, we will buy the e-book versions for our trip. Sure, it costs a little more, but we feel we actually save more by planning as far ahead as we can.

Posted by
11507 posts

Gosh, I wouldn't wait, remember a book coming out in november is still compiled with data from 2012 anyways . Also, think about what would be d,, prices and hours and all that info will likely only change a little bit ( ie, Louvre may be 10 euros this year, but 11 next, is that really enough of a difference to make a big deal about). Hotel prices change, and you will not neccesarily get the exact price anyways from a guide book as many hotels offer specials, rate variances by dates, etc. I use guide books mostly for basic travel info, and for information and history and location of sites.. now of that actually changes from year to year. Notre Dame is still where its always been,, lol . I find that anything I really need upto date info on I google,, almost all tourist sites in Paris have websites, in english, churchs, museums, etc. All that said I do think you should get the full books for a first time visit, more info, and RS books give alot of basic travel info that can be very helpful.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Pat. Would you say I need full version of France, Paris and Normandy?

Posted by
11507 posts

I wouldn't get France, I would get Paris and Normandy.

Posted by
2091 posts

Or you could get the Gift Set which would still be worth it even though it also has Provence in it. You'll also get the DVD, planning map and French phrase book. Just something to consider.

Posted by
1064 posts

This is early in the game, so why not get one of the pictorial guides from National Geographic Traveler or DK Eyewitness Traveler now and use it to start choosing the places you want to visit. You will not have time to visit all the places in Paris and Normandy/MSM, but those books can help you set priorities for sight-seeing. Then, buy a Rick Steves 2013 guide later, when it is time to get into specifics about those places. You will probably want to spend more time in Paris, so I would purchase that book.

Posted by
4132 posts

For planning, older versions are pretty useful. I go deep into local libraries for ideas and inspiration For taking with, always get the very latest. Even 2013 information is based on 2012, but if it saves you once from disappointment (renovations, changes in hours) it is worth whatever you pay for it.

Posted by
11507 posts

Adam, do you always take a guide book with you? I stopped doing that years ago and just take a menu translater and a pocket language guide. What I do though is take a small notepad where I have jotted down all the very latest information that is needed. Things like museum renovations and closures I check literally a month or two before I go, as they may literally change from one year to the next.
Does everyone else travel with a big guide book? Perhaps I am in minority, although I recall even Rick Steves saying that one should just take sections of his books ripped out rather then a big book in interest of travelling light.

Posted by
1064 posts

Answering Pat's question, I no longer take a paper guide, but I now take the kindle version. That's good for when I need to check something. I also cut out or copy on a scanner pages from guides I have bought or borrowed, but these concern only specific sites or hotel and restaurant options, which are as likely to be from other guides as from Rick Steves. Having read the RS guide for a location, I get a good overview, admittedly from his perspective - which I appreciate even when I disagree - and don't especially need the specifics.

Posted by
4132 posts

Pat, I am still into paper. Sometimes I take the whole book but I'm more likely to take just relevant pages, from several guidebooks and arranged by itinerary. Throw or give away as you go. If I'm going to be someplace for an extended period I usually feel that the Michelin Green Guide for that area is worth toting about. Re Rick's books: I wouldn't bring Rick's whole France book for a visit to Burgundy, but I would probably bring his Burgundy section. I do not think I would do well with Pat's system but that's just me. I do a lot of advanced planning but still want the resources on hand to make changes on the fly. OTOH Roy's Kindle option is sounding better and better to me--maybe next trip.