Please sign in to post.

2012 Frankfurt Christmas Market

I will be in Frankfurt Nov 24 and Nov 25. I see the "official" opening of the Christmas market is Nov 26. Does anyone know if the market will be open on an "un-official basis before Nov 26?

Posted by
8942 posts

It is quite odd that they are having the official opening on a Monday. Usually it is on a Friday, but the stands are open on Wed. My guess is that the stands are not going to lose all that business that a weekend will bring them, so that means the market will probably open that weekend, but without the tree being lit. That happens at the opening ceremony. http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/tourismussuite/en/events_trade_fairs_messe_frankfurt/christmas_market_Frankfurt_xmas.html The Pealing of the Bells won't be until Sat. 1 Dec. which is the Saturday before the 1st Advent Sunday.

Posted by
2779 posts

Always believe what Jo says. Usually it's open from Wednesday night. However, that goes for the official Christmas market on Römer square and the square in front of St. Paul's. But there are plenty of Glühwein and sweets huts in the streets between Hauptwache and Römer and they're independent of the official market and are probably open your nights as well. You will get the beautiful Frankfurt Christmas feeling, even a day or two prior to the offfical start of the season. ;-)