Please sign in to post.

travel in Normandy

We had originally planned on taking a guided tour to St.Michele,which would probably be late morning or early afternoon but from all accounts St. Michele should be seen at night or early morning--------so we are wondering if it would be wise to take the train directly from Paris to St. Michele rather than to Bayeux where we would pick up a tour.

How difficult would it be to travel by train to Bayeux from St. Michele?

There are four of us and we are thinking of renting a car in Bayeux after taking a Battle Bus tour and driving to Les Harvre as we are two meet others there on the evening of the 3rd day?

Any help you can give us would be so appreciated----Thank you-------Corinne

Posted by
1455 posts

Corinne, while planning my trip, I came across the same dilemma. At the end, we decided to rent a car from Paris, and drove to the D-day beaches, cut over to MSM, spend the night, and then did the Tapestries the next day.

We didn't feel rushed, and we also had a great time at MSM at night... when the day time tourists all left.

PM me if you want to know about the drive. I think the Normandy region is one where you should take your time, and not see it just as a "day trip"

Posted by
10344 posts

Your public transportation options to get from Bayeux to Mont-St-Michel are quite limited. The closest train station is Pontorson-Mont-St-Michel. There is a direct early morning train and a late afternoon train and the trip takes a little under two hours. From Pontorson you can also take a bus the 9km to Mont-St-Michel.Here's a link to transportation options to Mont St Michel: click here