Please sign in to post.

Questions--

Hi! I'm planning my first trip to Europe. I'm leaving August 19th (arriving the 20th) and leaving September 3rd. That said, I have two questions:

1. Anyone have any surefire, yet affordable, hotels/b&bs in Munich? I'm having trouble finding a room for myself & my fiance from August 31-September 3.

2. I LOVE flea markets, thrift stores, and those kinds of shopping situations. Can anyone recommend any in Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, Munich, and the less likely Bacharach? Also, is it expensive to ship things back to the States if I find something particularly awesome?

Thanks!

Posted by
1633 posts

Several years ago my daughter and I stayed in the small town of Gauting which is southwest of the city. You take the S-Bahn to get into the city which is about 25 minutes away. Check out the website www.gauting.de There are several pensions and gastehaus listed. We stayed at Gastehaus Bauer. Years ago, Frankfurt would have a flea market on Saturday morning. Maybe Andreas could tell us if this is still happening. Have fun!

Posted by
10344 posts

It is expensive to ship stuff back. Rick lists many Munich accommodations in his book Germany & Austria.

Posted by
32171 posts

Zahra, I'm assuming you've tried all the Hotels and other lodgings in Rick's Germany book? I stayed at This Hotel in May and would certainly recommend it. You'd have to send them an E-mail to find out if they have any vacancies.

Good luck!

Posted by
4 posts

I probably should have mentioned that I have the Rick Steve's Austria & Germany guidebook. I've contacted the majority of the hotels listed (those that are in my price range) and they are either booked or haven't gotten back to me (or charging way more than Rick Steve's listed them for).

Zahra

Posted by
2091 posts

Zahra--If I don't receive an email back within a couple of days or so, I pull out Rick's phrase book for that country's language and call during that hotel or B&B's regular office hours. For some hotels though, it can mean they're already full or it's too far in advance (such as over 11 months early).

Posted by
10 posts

My friends and I are going to Germany this September and have booked a room at Hotel Mariahilf in Munich...rates seem pretty good to me, but I'm not sure what price range you are looking for. I contacted them via email and they returned my email the next day with the rates and openings they had. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

http://www.hotelmariahilf.de/english_vers/about_us.html

Posted by
4 posts

OK, I finally got through to the Hotel Munchner Kindl and booked a room for 90 Euros/night, which is a bit more than I would like but still affordable since I'm way under budget for accommodations.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm still happy to get flea market/etc suggestions though!