Please sign in to post.

concentration camps?

We will be in Gdansk and then in Warnemunde, my husband would like to see a concentration camp. Does anyone know if we will be anywhere near one that he can visit?
Thanks for your suggestions,

Sharon

Posted by
29 posts

Hi,

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able too. The camps were never anywhere near the seas or heavily poulated areas. Usually just in wide opoen spaces where nobody would know what went on other than whispers among the local townsfolk, simply speaking of course! The nearest ones and really the best ones are Auschwitz and Mudjanek, both six hours by train from Gdansk near the cities of Krakow and Lublin, respectively.

Sounds like you are on some sort of Baltic type cruise. To see a camp, you'll have to spend more time on land. There are also ones in Germany, notably Dachau near Munich. I believe there is another outside of Berlin, but the name escapes me.

Best of luck!

Posted by
2779 posts

Sharon, am I remembering right that you've got one day in Warnemünde only? You want to take the train to berlin (3 hours one-way), visit all the major sights of Berlin and then also a concentration camp? With all due respect please keep in mind Germany is not a theme park but it's a real country large enough to hold 80 million people.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you for your replies. We are probably not going to berlin because of the time involved, so I am considering what other options we might have.
Any suggestions are truely appreciated.
Sharon

Posted by
2779 posts

Sharon, only 37km from Danzig is the former Nazi concentration camp Stutthof. You may want to google it and find out how you could visit it from your stop at Danzig.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you so much Andreas for all the information you have offered me. We are checking into Lubeck, and My husband is very interested in Stutthof.
Thank you again for your time,
Sharon

Posted by
10344 posts

Andreas has touched on an interesting point: the unstated assumption some might have, in thinking about travel in Europe, of Europe as Theme Park, EuroLand, DeutschesLand. Hmmmm....