Please sign in to post.

Normandy, France

I hope to spend about 8-9 days in Normandy this September. I'm trying to plan an itinerary. I was thinking Mont St Michel, the D-Day beach, St Malo, Rouen, Dinan, Rennes, Bayeux, Harfleur, but I really don't know.
Can I have some suggestions of what towns to stay and the number of days to spend?
Two years ago we did the 14 day Riveria & Provence tour mapped out in Rick Steves book and loved. I wish he had something of the same for Normandy.

Posted by
591 posts

Guessing that you're arriving at CDG and renting a car, you could first go to the Honfleur area and spend 2 nights at either Honfleur or Deauville. Stop to see Rouen en route. Next to Bayeux for 3 nights to visit the D-Day Beaches, Bayeux and Caen. Then to the St Malo area for 3 nights at St Malo or Dinan (Dinard is also a good choice). One day for Mont St Michel. Return to Paris for the final night near the airport - visit Rennes enroute.

Posted by
32303 posts

I'd suggest spending at least a couple of days in Bayeux. In addition to seeing the Tapestry, it's a good "home base" for touring the D-Day beaches or for getting local tours of historic sites.

You might consider taking at least one tour, as I found that was the most interesting and rewarding way to understand the history of the D-Day events. I used BattleBus Tours, and would certainly recommend them!

You didn't indicate if you would be travelling by car or public transport? The Museum in Caen is worth seeing (IMO) and possibly Giverny if you have time.

Happy travels!

Posted by
264 posts

Hi John:
You might want to consider adding some additional areas of France to your itinerary. I was able to thoroughly cover (almost) all your list in (2) seperate day trips from Paris. Bon Voyage!

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone for you responses. Bill, you may be right. I was thinking of adding Amiens to my trip. I find I enjoy the cities more where one can see something new at every block. My wife and I get bored at the smaller places if we stay two long. So I don't want to lock us in for several days if there's not much to do.

Posted by
655 posts

We traveled these areas using the route/timing detailed in Karen Brown's France Guide. I believe it is still available (check Amazon) and that you may find it useful. If you are interested it will also provide suggestions for lodging. It is a nice trip and should be fine in Sept.

Posted by
313 posts

I'd just encourage you to visit Dinan, at least, in Brittany. It was one of the most delightful surprises of our France trip last year. We want to get back to Brittany on our next trip -- not sure which towns.