Please sign in to post.

where to stay

At the end of our trip, we will be traveling from Salzburg back to Frankfurt on the autoband (sp?). I am allowing 2 days for this trip back so that we can stop and enjoy a village. (We are doing lots of tourist stuff earlier in the trip.) My question is where is a good spot to spend the night and what towns would be good to visit for a couple of hours while on this way back.

Thank you for your help.
Jana
Texas

Posted by
852 posts

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Hi Jana,
... we use Via Michelin to plot car trips in Texas, but we have never driven in Europe... we've always used the public transportation. See the link above.
... But if you plot a trip from Salzburg to Frankfurt using Via Michelin, you will see what places along the way are possibilities. When you have that information, then either seek specific city information at www.Google.com or post other questions here at Rick Steves web site.
... Sorry we couldn't give you the exact info.
... All the best, P

Posted by
2779 posts

When would this trip take place (month) and what are your interests? You could stop in the Stuttgart area if the Porsche and Mercedes museum are of interest to you. You could stop in Tübingen if beautiful historical towns are of interest to you. You could stay over in the Heidelberg area or in Nuremberg... So many options...

Posted by
1633 posts

By using the website www.mappy.com you can input your itinerary on the left side of the home page and you will get the suggested route, time it will take to drive, the km of the route and the approximate gas price. There are several routes you can take depending on what places you might want to get off of the autobahn and see. Of course, our favorite and one that is about halfway to Frankfurt is Rothenburg. When you stay in a city that is popular for tourists, there are several places to stay i.e., pensions, zimmers, etc. You could also drive all the way up to Bacharach and stay there before heading into Frankfurt the next day. Bacharach is a bit more off the autobahn but if you haven't been there, it's worth the stop. We've stayed in both towns and know of several zimmers if you need suggestions. Have fun!