Please sign in to post.

Rhine River

Help! My husband and I want to go to the Rhine River in a couple days and we have no idea where to stay. Suggestions on town and hotel would great!

Posted by
19232 posts

Some of the places to see are Bacharach, St Goar (Rheinfels, castle ruins), Braubach (Marksburg), and Koblenz (Deutsches Eck). Take the K-D ship from Bacharach to St Goar.

Five years ago I stayed in Boppard, which is pretty centrally located. There are some pretty nice hotels, Rheinlust and Bellevue, on the river walk in Boppard. (I stayed in a Privatzimmer with a non-English speaking couple, so I probably can't help there.)

I would avoid staying in Bacharach only because it is outside the transit district (VRM=Verkehrverbund-Rhein-Mosel) which includes all the other towns. The VRM has day tickets, but you can't buy them in Bacharach.

In St Goar, a lot of people like the Hotel am Markt. It's right on the market square, near the K-D boat dock.

Posted by
6929 posts

St. Goar is best if traveling by train as you can cross the river there by ferry and use the train on the other side to tour the best Rhine castle - Marksburg, in Braubach.

Posted by
12313 posts

We really enjoyed staying at the Castle/Hostel above Bacharach, Burg Stahleck. It's busy so you will want to call ahead to reserve. I've also stayed at Pensions in the area that were nice, but don't recall the names.

The one-hour river cruise between Bacharach and St. Goar is worth seeing.