Please sign in to post.

hiking in Austria

I am looking for suggestions for quiet unspoiled hiking areas in Tirol or Hohe Tauern National Park areas for mid August.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Gael,
... our favorite hike is from Kals am Grossglockner to Matrei. You could see the villages of Kals and Matrei on Google Maps [In the Google-Maps search box just type in "Kals am Grossglockner, AT"] . To begin, we suggest you go to Kals and take the ski lift up to the hiking path. The path is almost level and about three meters wide. You hike about 2 hours to a mountain shelter called Kals-Matreier Toerl. From there you hike about 1 hour to the ski lift to take you down to Matrei.
... We get to Kals by Postbus and return to our hotel in Lienz by another Postbus [The Postbus is a federal mail and passenger service. The bus has a distinctive horn, which please note.] The Postbus specialty is taking hikers to hiking locations. You can obtain brochures at the Postbus stations which show recommended hikes (such as Kals-Matrei) in some detail... Enjoy yourselves! P

Posted by
216 posts

Two hikes I can recommend without reservation are: from the Achensee up to the Rofan. You go first to Jenbach and then Maurach to take the gondola up. The second - I haven't been on that one for a long time, but it's very memorable - is a hike from Kössen to the German side up the Fellhorn. You can then walk down flower-strewn paths to the picture-perfect resort village of Reit im Winkl.

Hey, I should know why I really like that one: my parents met on that mountain during WW2!